Anonymous

if i live in Pennsylvania, can i get into California State University Long Beach (CSULB)?

ok ive never been to california but i really want to go to this school. (ive checked it out) could i get in with the right grades? what else do they look for? (like activities or sports? are those required?) also how much would living in on-campus cost? like what are the living expenses? there's still a lot of time for me to do different sports and activities if that what the university looks for. i have great grades and i plan on keeping them that way. i am trying to plan well for my future, so please get some good answers. :) also my parents dont support me going to college, so they wont pay for ANY of it. so could i get a student loan for that college. please help...no half *** answers either :) haha. please help.

Favorite Answer

Well, it depends on what you define as great grades and what you plan on majoring in. I know it's the most applied to Cal State campus. While their average statistics aren't all that impressive (I think I remember their average sat score being something like 1100) they only have a 30% acceptance rate because SO many people apply. My stats were well above their average so I applied thinking it would be an easy backup school but ended up getting rejected (however I did apply for a very popular major). To be honest the cal state education system is kind of a mess right now tuition hikes caused by slashed budgets are hurting a lot of students that end up spending way more money than they intended because they couldn't graduate in four years because they can't get the classes they want because the schools are overcrowded. I've heard rumors one or two campuses are considering shutting down admissions for a quarter or two to help these issues. Now, given all that there are still plenty of people who have positive experiences with the cal state system and get good educations there. I don't know the specifics but it is in LA county so I'm guessing cost of living is pretty high. Any and all extracurricular activities will help your application as well as picking a less popular major (you can change majors once admitted). Because you love it I would encourage you to apply but seeing that it's such a crowed and selective campus I would also encourage you to check out San Diego State, Cal State Fullerton, and the Cal Polly campuses. If you want more information I'd suggest using college prowler and us news and world report, I used them all the time when I was going through the college application process.

Source(s): southern california resident/college student