Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetHardwareDesktops · 9 years ago

Using s SSD Drive for the OS?

Is it a good idea to buy a 32GB SSD Drive SATA3 for installing windows 7 onto, then having a 1TB 7200RPM HDD for storage?

Will having the SSD for thy system / OS speed things up?

Favorite Answer

yes its a good idea. SSD's have really good access times which is what you need for OS to be fast. It wont make much of a difference for media etc.

Just make sure to move files that dont need speed to the other drive. You may want to consider a slightly larger drive since I dont think they're that expensive now. 32gb is plenty for win7 though.

NO! Whatever other drives you have, and wherever you load programs to, often the larger part of the program, the library files and registry entries, MUST go on the C: drive system folders. Plus system temporary file storage. Since Linux distributions have become common everyone is obsessed with partitioning or fitting separate drives. Microsoft OS does NOT handle partitioning or different drives well. You need at least 80 GB for any recent Windows OS system drive, and I would recommend 160 minimum. I always refuse to install for a customer onto less than 250 GB now as I find with anything less the drive fills far too quickly. And I am now seeing people with space shortage problems on 250 within a few months. The actual difference in speed is only noticeable on lager drives anyway, as the speed is restricted by head movement distances, On a large drive there are massive head movements, which will make read and write access much slower than an SSD. On a small drive the movements are much shorter and faster, so I doubt you will notice any difference.

• Q&A

I would recommend you buy a 32 GB Intel SSD and use that as a cache drive for your 1 TB HDD that way your entire set of software benefits from the SSD and not just the operating system and program installation files. If you truly do use all the operating system and program installation files (highly improbable), the algorithm will optimize it so it would be almost exactly like having the OS installed on the 32 GB SSD in the first place. In practice, there a lots of files from a Windows installation that you will not use so it's best to let the algorithm fill the SSD with what you'll need only.

More details:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smart_Response_Techno...

• Jenny

Hello, 32gig, ssd, I tried that move with only a 40gig, it was a mistake, all your applications and OS need to be installed on an ssd drive. So 32gig would be too little, I would say 80gig+ or better yet 120+

dont forget default virtually ram, you want it to run at ssd speeds also.

keep in mind that SSD had a WRITE limit of 20k times, after that that drive will be able to read but never write again. This is a fatal flaw in flash memory, so it does not matter who you buy it from, but that being said, drive should last 3-5 years anyway...

Simply put, Yes.

Having the OS and frequently used apps on a small SSD significantly speeds up your computer.

I used a 64GB SSD for my OS and all of my storage is housed on HDDs.

Don't forget that SSD do have limited read/write capabilities. Make sure you research that part of it as much as you are the size.

Yeah sure, it can be. I'm using an SSD for the OS partition on this computer here. It boots hella fast as they say.

You should shop around where SSDs are concerned. Look at the specs and get one that reviews really well.

• Chris

Very good idea.

In fact many forums reccomend it.

Your boot time will decrease dramatically