What internet speeds do I need for gaming?

Since 3 months ago I received a new modern from centurylink giving me crappy internet. (lags bad on games, occasionally takes too long to load webpages, internet disconnects). I have century link with 7.04 mbps download speeds and .81 mbps upload speed. However my download speed seems only to go 500-900 kbps and ping 38ms. My internet lags and internet turns off. Im tired of it and want to switch to cox. I pay around $50 a month for internet but willing to pay more. I play mostly alot of online games including Battle field 3, Daiblo 3, and Guild Wars 2. I want sufficient internet to play these games well without any internet lag. (it is my internet I have window 7, quad core, gtx 540, 4gb ram). If you have any suggestions please list your ISP, download speeds, internet speeds, and recommendations. Thank you :)

Favorite Answer

The only thing i could recommend is using a cat5e (cat6 would be best) ethernet cable (monoprice sells them for extremely cheap prices). I have 10mbps down and 1 mbps up and I have no lag with MW2 and other games on my PS3 and xbox, and we have over 6 devices connected to our Linksys E3200 Router. Also, try port forwarding (I can't explain it on here because it would take too long to explain).

Best thing to do is to manually connect your computer to the modem with an ethernet cable. That will help the speed a bit