can you apply for ei benefits outside of canada?!?

this question is in regards to my bf who lives in canada. and for some reason service canada can not answer this seemingly simple question. im pregnant my bf is on vacation waiting to apply for paternity leave since my due date is just a couple weeks away. he is coming to the US this week. CAN HE APPLY FOR PARENTAL EI BENEFITS EVEN THOUGH HE WILL BE OUTSIDE OF CANADA?????

• ?
    Favorite Answer

Top of Page

Am I allowed to leave Canada while receiving EI maternity or parental benefits

Yes, you can receive EI maternity and parental benefits while you are outside Canada. However, if you leave the country, please let us know by calling 1-800-206-7218 (TTY: 1-800-529-3742) and pressing "0" to speak with a representative.

http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/ei/types/matern...

HE can file on line. This is not free money to supplement his pay it is in replacement of it.

• ?

NO - he must be inside Canada!!!!

and if he has not worked in Canada for the last 12 months, he wont be eligble anyway as he has not paid into EI.

Source(s): personal experience - I was told that I had to be living in Canada to be eligible to apply for EI I am a PR in Canada