Do the parents need to be listed on the invitations?

I've been looking at wedding invitations, and all of them say something like

"Mr and Mrs, and Mr and Mrs invite you to the wedding of their daughter to their son."

Since I'm paying for MY wedding, do I really need to follow this template?

13 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

The follwing is a link to show suggested wordings - there are wordings for every situation:

http://www.weddingguideuk.com/articles/planning/in...

You do not have to put your parents names on your invites.It is only traditional because Daddy of the bride paid,but times have changed - back then,women lived at home until they got married,not many will have worked.We're more independent these days,moving out of home long before marriage occurs (my fiance was actually kicked out at 15,he'll be 28 in about 3 weeks).I am also estranged from my father,how starnge would it be to put his name on my invites when he isn't going to be there?The couple hosting is not unusual these days.However,if you wish to honour your parents you could list them,or you can use Mr John Doe and Miss Jane Smith with their families invite you to their wedding (I'm paraphasing)

• Login to reply the answers
  • A User
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

Usually, the parents are listed if they have either contributed financially to the wedding or if they are hosting it. That's traditionally how it's understood by guests. Now, however, some people just list their parents for the sake of sharing the honour with them.

It's perfectly fine not to have your parents' names on the invitation, specially when you are paying for it alone.

EDIT: Note that with the way family in general has evolved, that bit has become very tricky for a lot of people. How do you deal with listing names when your parents and future in-laws are divorced and remarried for example. Will you list 5 pairs of names? Or what if one of them is remarried and the other is not? Are they gonna feel ok seeing their ex's name proudly listed next to their new wife/husband and theirs alone on the card? That's one major reason why it's now perfectly fine to list just the bride and groom.

Also, since people marry a lot later now, the couple is more independent from their parents/

• 8 years ago

You don't need to follow any template. My fiance and I chose to have his parents on the invitation as the hosts, because they are helping pay for the wedding. But you definitely don't have to.

• Lydia
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

Yes, you should - but it has nothing to do with who is paying for the wedding. The reason for doing it is to show the familial relationship.

So rather than the wording you gave, go with something like this -

Susan Linda,

daughter of Mark and Lisa Green,

and

Howard Matthew,

son of Simon and Martha Brown,

request the honour of your presence.....

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Mircat
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

You do if you still love your parents. It doesn't matter who pays for it if you love them. Are you walking down the aisle alone or is your dad doing it? If he does it then you show respect for your parents and include them some way on the invitation.

Susan Marie Smith

and

Jonathan Edward Jones

and their families

invite you to their

wedding

June 12, 2012

blah blah blah something like that. You can find wording online very easily for something like that.

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

Lol, they say " the wedding of their daughter to their son?" Like siblings getting married?

Anyway, it's just a tradition and doesn't have anything to do with who is paying. You seem kind of bitter and controlling about the fact that you're paying for everything yourself, don't let that come across on your invitations.

• 8 years ago

The invitation doesn't tell people who's paying for the wedding. Most people who choose to list their parents do it as a sign of respect.

The choice of whether or not to include them is yours. Talk to them and see if their feelings would be hurt.

"Together with their parents" or "Together with their families" could be a nice compromise.

• 8 years ago

No.

If you still wish to include your families in some way, you can go with...

Together with their families

Sarah Miller

and

Robert Brown

Invite you...

It's fine to leave them out altogether though.

• 8 years ago

No you don't have to list them. On invitation sites they usually have examples of how to word invitations according to whom is paying. Usually invitations are worded according to whom is hosting (paying) for the wedding. In this case I would simply use YOUR name and your fiance's name as the host.

Such as:

Maryanne P. Winters and John H. Smith cordially invite you to their wedding on DATE TIME LOCATION. Search invitation sites for examples of hosting your own wedding wording for invitations.

• 8 years ago

This is an individual matter. Are u angry ur parents are not paying? As long as it is tastefully worded and not hurtful, say anything u want

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.