Investing: switching from Charles Schwab to Scottrade?

I've been buying and selling stocks with Charles Schwab for a few months now and I've been planning on switching to Scottrade because they have a cheaper trading fee. The commission fee for Charles Schwab is ridiculously high and yet I don't even use most of the extra customer services that they... show more I've been buying and selling stocks with Charles Schwab for a few months now and I've been planning on switching to Scottrade because they have a cheaper trading fee. The commission fee for Charles Schwab is ridiculously high and yet I don't even use most of the extra customer services that they offer.

When I looked at the Scottrade website, it said something about that they can easily transfer all of your assets and information from another broker to a new Scottrade account. Is this possible, and if so how much would it cost? Is it better to transfer your information from one broker to another, or is it easier to simply cancel everything with one broker and start a whole new account with a different broker from scratch?

Has anyone done this before?