Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetOther - Computers · 8 years ago

Why Isn't My Mozilla-Firefox Ad Blocker working?

I now have to sit through 30-second ads on YouTube everytime I wanna view something, after deleting my Cookies and History. How can I make it work again? What's the problem with it?

Update:

@Dunbar: Thank you for your consideration. But the Adblocker comes with Mozilla Firefox. I also already have Malwarebytes. lol. Thanks anyway dude. :D

1 Answer

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

The AddBlocker referred to is an add-on...not the built in one.

Here it is along with some other items of interest:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/collectio...

Tweaks to Firefox:

FIREFOX: Tools> Options> Privacy> top drop menu set to "Firefox will use custom settings..."> Check 'Accept Cookies from sites'

►Un-Check 'Accept 3rd Party cookies'.

And tick the very top box regarding "Do Not Track".

►► At minimum, get the #1 item for malware prevention: "NoScript", which constrains automagically fetching & deployment of potentially tainted assets.

[Bookmark and refer to this page for how it works, and how to use it...very straight forward; http://noscript.net/features#contentblocking

To maximize the blocking function of ABP:

On the ABP 'Stop Sign' drop arrow> Preferences> Filters> Add filter subscription: from the list of those available, tick whatever filter fits your Firefox settings have as 'home' country (US is > Easy List); tick 'Subscribe'> OK.

(This list removes the huge top banner ad on these Yahoo pages)

"Easy List" is one good subscription, and others can be obtained for your particular countries servers (and a few extras for US; EasyPrivacy+EasyList, Malware Domains; AdblockRules.org; Fanboy's List):

In ABP > Preferences> Filters> Add filter subscription> "View All Subscriptions" link @ top of window> on the new Firefox window, select those which you'd like to add (on the right) "Subscribe"> check both boxes> OK out.

The list is long...look for any that will help your browse sessions be 'cleaner'.

When fresh ads appear, it means a new way to get around your current 'blocking' subscriptions. The inconsiderate bastards who intrude onto your system are constantly advancing their delivery methods, and you must constantly counter-measure those efforts.

To remedy; right click the offending rubbish> look for the Adblock Plus 'block' line, then 'add' the "filter rule"> Add filter.

Periodically "Update subscriptions" ABP from Preferences.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.