Is the 1911 a 9mm or a .45 ACP?

Also what's the difference bewteen a single action, double action and a semiautomatic pistol?

And last what's the difference bewteen 9mm and .45 ACP and which one is better?

• Nigel
    Favorite Answer

Don't listen to anything Josh Smith said; he is 100% CLUELESS.

Single action means that the hammer must be c0cked after every shot before you can shoot the gun.

Double action means that when you pull the trigger, it will also pull back the hammer and fire the gun.

Semiautomatic means that you don't have to pull the hammer back after every shot; the gun does this for you. You just pull the trigger and the gun goes bang each time you pull it until you are out of ammo.

The 1911 was originally chambered in .45 ACP and 90% of them are to this day, but they are also made in various other calibers, 9mm included.

As for the 9mm vs .45 ACP, this is an age long debate that will spark some fires. Think of this as AR vs. AK, Ford vs. Chevy, Coke vs. Pepsi, etc etc.

The 9mm is a lighter and smaller load than the .45. This means that it does not have the same "stopping power" as the larger .45, but in a seld defense shooting, the terminal ballistics are too similar for one to have better "stopping power" than another. Because the 9mm is a lighter load, it has less recoil and can hold more bullets in the magazine. For example, a full-size gun chambered in 9mm could hold 17+1 (Glock 17) rounds, whereas one of the same size, but chambered in .45, could only hold 12+1 (HK USP 45). In my opinion, I like the 9mm better because of the aforementioned reasons. It is also cheaper, so you can buy bulk ammo for practice at a much more affordable price.

I don't know what a 1911 is,but I can tell you the difference between a 9mm and a .45 ACP.Okay the 9mm is an all around useful bullet.It is used by the FBI,CIA,the Military,local police,and many other countries for sidearms.On a scale to 1-10,I would give the 9mm a 5 or 6 in power,in terms of accuracy,I would have to give it a 9.Thats just me,on how I handle this weapon.To others they much rate it differently.The .45 ACP is a very powerful sidearm.The .45acp is bigger and has more bullet grain in the shells.On a scale to 1-10, I would give the .45acp a 7 or 8.Accuracy I would give it a 7 or 8.I personally prefer the .45acp.My mom's ex-boyfriend used to be in Vietnam,and said the standard sidearm was a .45acp.He said it was very powerful and could blow a head off.Semiautomatic pistols shoot one bullet for every time you pull the trigger.Like some sniper rifles are like that.Single action is the same thing as semi-automatic,but just different names.

• The Colt M1911 was chambered in .45 ACP.

A semi-automatic pistol is a type of handgun which uses a single chamber and barrel, with a mechanism powered by the previous shot to load a fresh cartridge into the chamber. One round is fired each time the trigger of a semi-automatic pistol is pulled.

A single-action (SA) trigger performs the single action of releasing the hammer or striker to discharge the firearm each time the trigger is pulled.[1] Almost all rifles and shotguns use this type of trigger.[1] Single-action revolvers such as the Colt Dragoon Revolver require the hammer to be cockedd by hand every time the weapon is fired. Single-action semi-automatic pistols require that the hammer be cockedd before the first round can be fired, although most designs cock the hammer as part of the loading process (e.g., the act of inserting the magazine and operating the slide mechanism to chamber the first round also cocks the hammer or striker into the ready-to-fire position).[2] Once the first round is fired, the automatic movement (recoil) of the slide cocks the hammer for each subsequent shot. The pistol, once cockedd, can be fired by pulling the trigger once for each shot until the magazine is empty. The M1911 and Browning Hi-Power are single-action pistols that function in this manner.

A double-action, also known as double action only (DAO) to prevent confusion with DA/SA designs, is similar to a DA revolver trigger mechanism. The trigger both cocks and releases the hammer. However there is no single action function. A good example of this action is the Sig Sauer DAK trigger. For semi-automatic pistols with a traditional hammer (that employ only the double action function of the trigger), the hammer will return to its decockedd position after each shot. Subsequent shots require the double action trigger firing sequence. For striker-fired pistols such as the Taurus 24/7, the striker will remain in the rest position through the entire reloading cycle. This term applies mostly to semi-automatic handguns; however, the term can also apply to some revolvers such as the Smith & Wesson Centennial, the Type 26 Revolver, and the Enfield No. 2 Mk I revolvers, in which there is no external hammer spur. Glock and Kahr semi-automatic pistols are not DA (or DAO) pistols because the striker is "cockedd" to an intermediate position by the operation of the slide and they cannot be re-activated by pulling the trigger a second time.

How can somebody not know what a 1911 is and profess to know ANYTHING about pistols at all?

Anyways, Pennsylvania there has a lot of good info for you.