What documents do I need to intern in Canada?

I am an American citizen, and will be working at a psychology clinic for 2 months this summer. The problem is I just heard about it a few weeks ago and the Canadian immigration office has been extremely unhelpful. I really don't have time to wait for a work permit, so the office I'm working for wanted me to do a paid internship instead.

The primary purpose is for training, so I was wondering if I would qualify for the health care exemption, or should I not worry about it? Do I need a medical exam? I won't have direct patient contact even though it's a health-related position.

I have a letter from my university in the US (I will be receiving credit), I'm getting a letter from my employer, and I have my passport and drivers' license. Am I ok to just go up to the border?

2 Answers

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.