promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

how can i lower my car insurance quotes?

hi im 16 and am soon going to be able to drive so i have started to look at what my inurance quotes will be for a newly qualified driver, and there to high at £3000+ for a renault clio with a 1.2 engine. Just wondering how i might be able to lower this figure with some kind of higher qualififed driving licence, if there are any compaies that insurance new drivers for quite low amonts or if i am just going to have to wait until i am older?? thanks

13 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

That's what it costs teens to insure even a small car. Either pay the money or take the bus.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • roger
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

If you have been getting quotes off the internet that is not always the best plan. I suggest that when you do have a license and a car you sit down with the phone and the local yellow pages and start calling insurers. I would call as many as I can, usually after 10 or 12 agents I want to barf. Write down the quotes. Then pick the best one and go from there. Your insurance will be higher for your first policy period because you have not had previous insurance. Try to get a six month policy and you will pay higher rates for six months instead of 12 months.

Once you get your renewal notice this is like gold and you can call almost any insurance company you want and get a better quote ( as long as you have no tickets or accidents ) young people get into more accidents per mile than any other segment of society. And its usually them rear ending the car in front of them. Always pay 100 percent attention to what the car in front of you is doing and more importantly no matter if you are a block from home or going 75 on the freeway always be prepared to stop that car. I lost count of the number of times I saved my butt by being ready to stop. Sometimes traffic stops for seemingly no reason. It does not matter why. what matters is that you don't come steam rolling through an accident scene because you were not paying attention. your not a passenger any more so remember not to zone out when you are driving. If I see ANYTHING that looks different cars slowing on the freeway or even two cars fly by me while jockeying for position both trying to be in the same place at the same time I lift my foot off the gas and get it over the brake pedal ready to stop. And it works good if you are ready but relaxed for any possible change you will do just fine. hang in there its not easy dealing with insurance companies and learning to drive but the more you drive the better you will get.

• 8 years ago

The average is around £3100

No there are no higher qualifications that will make a difference - even Pass Plus

No there are no cheap insurers for young drivers

On 03/03/2011, over a year ago now, I got a fictitious quote from a well known comparison site on the following ..... Mr Smith, 17, passed test 4 weeks ago, full time shop assistant, Vaux Corsa 1.0 litre worth £2000 not modified registered in 2003, parked in a driveway at night, used for social and commute to one workplace and no restrictions on when it could be driven, policy excess £550 total, 10000 miles a year living in a lowest possible car crime risk postcode. A very simple case which should bring close to the best possible and typical price at 17.

Result - from 121 insurers only 31 quoted. Cheapest was £4800 a year or £747 deposit and £524/month for 9 months (highest for same cover - £8004/year)

Looks like that is the way it is now for younger potential drivers. At various times as you go through life there will be things you would like to be able to do or have but due to age and/or finances you cannot - for many teens this is how it is now for cars in that just like me and a new Ferrari I don't have enough money.

I grew up in small village in the Midlands with a poor bus service and a motorcycle was the only affordable option then in the late 70s and early 80s until I (and my mates) were 20 and over. The times of loads of money are over and things are gradually changing back to the way they were back then when we were not so affluent

• 8 years ago

"i might be able to lower this figure with some kind of higher qualified driving licence"

No such licence exists.

You can take a Pass Plus course, but it won't lower your insurance by much more than £100.

"...if there are any companies that insurance new drivers for quite low amounts"

No such companies exist.

In fact, many insurance companies have stopped insuring under 25's altogether, because they are such a high risk.

"or if i am just going to have to wait until i am older??"

Yup, you got it!

Many teenagers don't drive at all, due to the high cost of insurance. In fact, when you realise that the average insurance quote for a 17 year old, with a 1-litre car is around £4,000, what you have been quoted is actually very, very cheap!!

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    8 years ago

At 17, you aren't going to have enough driving experience to pass the Institute of Advanced Motorists' Advanced-Driving Test, you will have to get out there in the Real World, and learn from your mistakes as much as your successes, for a few years, before you take it.

No company is going to give a Rookie of 17 a good deal, since you are a BAD RISK, and will likely have a pretty-big claim in the first three years (78% likelihood). You will find that insurance is lower when you have claim-free experience, you are over 25, and you can keep a clean licence. I have never had an accident, have 29 years of driving behind me, a clean licence, and pay under 300 a year for cover on my Mercedes-Benz, including Legal-Assistance and Europe-wide Breakdown-Cover. And that's just how it should be!

Make sure you don't take to the road ABSOLUTELY POTLESS, as cars have a way of throwing a bill at you, and if you can't afford to pay it, you will STILL have to pay your insurance, or face a big cancellation-fee!

• 8 years ago

start off with an older car, with small engine and not a corsa, vectra or anything that will be classed as a "boy racer" type. Insurance is expensive for everyone just now, so i know exactly how you feel. When you pass your test, a good way of taking your premium down would be to do a pass plus course with your driving instructor. This will give you more driving experience such as motorway and night time driving. By doing this course, you may get a discount. Phone round ALL the insurance companies and brokers to get the best deal as shopping around does pay off.

• Arlyn
    Lv 6
    4 years ago

I suggest that you visit this internet site where you can get rates from the best companies: http://INSUREFOREVERYBODY.INFO/index.html?src=2YAr...

RE :How can i lower my car insurance quotes?

hi im 16 and am soon going to be able to drive so i have started to look at what my inurance quotes will be for a newly qualified driver, and there to high at £3000+ for a renault clio with a 1.2 engine. Just wondering how i might be able to lower this figure with some kind of higher qualififed driving licence, if there are any compaies that insurance new drivers for quite low amonts or if i am just going to have to wait until i am older?? thanks

Follow 11 answers

• 6 years ago

You can save on your insurance by compare quotes at FREETOINSURE.INFO-

RE How can i lower my car insurance quotes?

hi im 16 and am soon going to be able to drive so i have started to look at what my inurance quotes will be for a newly qualified driver, and there to high at £3000+ for a renault ...show more

• Drivers between 17 and 25 are a small proportion of the total, but have most of the accidents. The problem is not so much what you might do to the car, but the telephone number amounts of compensation the insurers have to shell out if you injure someone. At one time, it was possible to chat to the underwriter and convince him that you are not that kind of young driver, but these days it's all done by computer.

• Neil B
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

The only way is to wait until you're older, or be a named driver and only drive at weekends on a policy which allows named drivers to build up their own no claims bonus, but even that will still be expensive for the first couple of years!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.