New hard disk contains bad sectors ?

I got a replaced hdd from the very well reputed company WD as my old WD hd had bad sectors ( windows log - event id 7 - disk has a bad block error ).

It has been 10 days and the windows log still shows event id-7 , presence of bad sectors .

System freezes at times just as it used to previously .

What are the posssible causes , is it the SATA cable or some other system embedded on motherboard ?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    8 years ago
    Best Answer

You should run Check Disk w/the "Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors" option selected. This will take quite a while to run & if it can't recover the bad sector data, it will flag the sector as unusable. This will prevent your system from freezing up while trying to read/write to the bad sector.

• 8 years ago

Short answer - replace the sata cable.

long answer - while drives and controllers do error detection checksums on the data as it crosses the cable, nothing (No oses) care when an error is encountered. The error is allowed to persist and bad data is written to the disk.

I am hesitant to advise you to spend $90 on software, but spinright will detect this kind of error. If it is not a cabling error, then it may be something else that spinright can fix.

Source(s): http://grc.com
  • 8 years ago

Have a look in Event Viewer for any critical events.

Why do hard drives fail?

See link.

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

Western Digital is a reputed brand but from where did you buy it?

These days many shops are selling reconditioned hard disks

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    5 years ago

Siempre he comprado en los sitios web hard disks de buena calidad, y siempre acabo llenándolas así que al final me he decidido compra un hard disk con una gran cantidad de almacenamiento, de una marca que ya conozco muy bien he encontrado un hard disk bastante grande a un precio sin rival, la compra ha valido la pena porque aunque es grande tiene una excelente velocidad de respuesta, una excelente compra.

• Otter
    Lv 5
    8 years ago

Go to this link below and it will show you how to fix it.

http://www.ehow.com/how_5025916_fix-bad-hard-drive...

Source(s): 30 years experience.
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.