Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Good novels to read with good literature?

From childhood, I've been obsessed with Harry Potter Arthur Conan Doyle, a few Sidney Sheldon books etc. I like adventurous, mystery novels. So, after getting my Bachelor's degree, I am free to pursue my interest.

What do you recommend about the following?

Dan Brown's novels

Kane and Abel (Jeffery Archer)

Eragon trilogy

Paolo Coelho

C.S. Lewis?

Also, I am confused as to whether read The Lord of The Rings books or watch the movies? If both, what to do first?

Any similar/better books?

Thanks literary folks!

Favorite Answer

Dan Browns books are a must read, very addictive and very clever how he mixes fiction with fact

Eragon is a very good fantasy book. 100 times better than the film!

I would also recommend Kelly Armstrong series. they feature werewolves, witches, sorceress, necromancers etc features both mystery and adventure and adult themes but very good read. again very addictive

Skullduggery Pleasant although considered a children's book is brilliant! very entertaining easy read that has you laughing all the way through. it is both mystery and adventure (im 21 and love this book!)

Read novels by the Bronte sisters, Jane Austen, George Eliot, Mrs Gaskell, Hardy, Dickens, Collins, Tolstoy & Virginia Wolf.

For modern literature read Margaret Drabble, A S Byatt, Iris Murdoch, Doris Lessing, Penelope Lively, William Trevor & David Lodge.

Stardust is a fantastic read (and even better movie!)

I'd recommend you read The Hobbit before you read the lotr books

And yes reading them first makes you appreciate all the small references in the movies!

i prefer the author Chuck Palahuink. hes a brilliant writer, but perhaps not your style. if you havent heard of him, the first book he wrote was called Fight Club. its a very good read, and i love Palahuink's works. some of his other books (the ones ive read and enjoyed anyway) are: Choke, Lullaby, Pygmy, Rant, Diary, and Stranger Than Fiction. these are all pretty good reads, Rant being a personal favorite of mine. good luck, and maybe youll actually like his style!! .

Source(s): Chuck Palahuink, one of the greatest anarchists of our day and age!!