HELP! sharp, sudden pain left, lower back?

I keep getting this random sharp pain on my lower back on the left side. Like right above my hip. It's always sudden, like I won't be doing anything and it lasts a minute or two and then goes away. It's almost like a really big cramp. I have no other symptoms, and I'm 21 years old and healthy. Could it be something with my kidney? I'm freaking out.

Favorite Answer

It sounds like it might be a kidney stone. You should get it checked out. If you have a kidney stone you may need some help with pain relief to pass it.

You have a tight muscle in your back that is getting pressure on it from the spine to get pinched to cause the pains and if that causes pressure on a nerve going to your hip area you will get the pain there as well. Just little movements can pinch the muscle at times for this to keep happening. to keep it from happening you have to free up your back muscles to release the tight ones that are getting pinched and here's how to free them up:

Back:

(do while sitting on a chair)

Place your left hand on your left leg next to your body. Place your right hand over your left shoulder, fingers over the back and the palm in the front, and firmly pull down on them and hold. After 30 seconds slowly lower your body forward and to the outside of your left leg, keeping your left arm as straight as possible. When you reach your lap remain there for another 10 seconds, then release the pressure but rest there for another 30 seconds. Then reverse your hand positions and do your right side.

For best results relax your body first by taking a deep breath and exhaling then remain this relaxed.