Yahoo Messenger conversation history problem?

First off, I keep seeing people ask about this problem, and getting an answer saying, "Yahoo Messenger only saves Instant Messages, not SMS"... even when the person asking for help specifically says that the problem they're having IS with Instant Messages, and not SMS; so please don't answer without reading the question.

I just downloaded Yahoo Messenger (the "download version", given on the official site. I have no idea what other version there is besides "the download version") version 11.5.0.192-us. I have had Conversation History enabled since the start, a few days ago. And I find that only PART of an INSTANT MESSAGE conversation was saved. It was broken right in the middle of a conversation. And since that break, it doesn't show anything beyond that point, nor any subsequent conversations with that contact. (The one and only contact I've used Yahoo Messenger to talk to, so far.) Strangely, under the contact's name, it shows a little preview, which DOES show the beginning of the most recent IM, but when I click into the conversation, it still only shows up to the same spot, and shows nothing that has been written since then.

All of it was via IM, no SMS. All of it was a single PC to a single PC. And again, the problem point occurred right in the middle of a conversation, so I see no reason that the Conversation History should work fine...and then abruptly stop.

I have to say, it's extremely ...irritating... to put it very nicely. And from what I'm seeing on here, it's a problem that has been going on for several months. Can the glitch really be that hard for Yahoo to find and fix?!

Thank you, ♪♪ЁǟŘή♫♪. I THINK that first link may be the solution I needed. I still don't understand the reason, but I signed into my Yahoo mail account, and then opened my conversation history, and most of it is there. The conversation that got cut, however, is still missing. I'm not sure about why. But later conversations are showing now.

I still don't understand the problem, though, because the instructions in that link say "Conversation History will not be available if the Yahoo! Mail account has never been accessed." It says "NEVER" been accessed; but I access my Yahoo Mail all the time. So, I am wondering now if I have to access my Yahoo Mail EACH time I want to check my conversation history... which seems a bit ungainly. But this at least gives me a major clue to help solve the problem in the future. Thank you very much, ♪♪ЁǟŘή♫♪.

• gZ
    Best Answer

Go to This Link , This Is Link to you Know How to Fix your problem

http://help.yahoo.com/kb/index?page=topics&y=PROD_...

Description

This can be helpful when one or more of the following is true:

You are unable to view or access message archives in version 11 of Yahoo! Messenger.

The Conversation History option or tab is missing / not appearing in menus or in Preferences.

Cause

Conversation History will not be available if the Yahoo! Mail account has never been accessed.

Resolution

Since Conversation History is stored in your Yahoo! Mail account, this feature will not function without first accessing the Mail account associated with your Yahoo! ID.

Here's how to sign in to your Yahoo! Mail account and begin saving Conversation History:

Visit Yahoo! Mail to add this product to your Yahoo! ID.

Sign in with your Yahoo! ID and password, if necessary.

If you encounter any problems upgrading your Yahoo! ID with Yahoo! Mail, please visit Yahoo! Mail Help for further assistance.

Once you have accessed Yahoo! Mail with your Yahoo! ID, you can import any existing message archives from older versions of Yahoo! Messenger into your Conversation History.

http://help.yahoo.com/kb/index?page=content&y=PROD...

Description

This document explains how to review message archives.

Resolution

To search your past messages, you need to have turned on archiving, to learn how see How to turn on message archiving in Yahoo! Messenger.

Here's how to search the history of your instant messages:

Click Message History in the top-right area of the page.

Type what you're looking for in the search box in the "My History" tab.

Click Search.

- You'll see a listing of the messages that match your search term(s) displayed below.

Click on a line in the "With" column on the left and the message will be displayed in the "Message" column on the right.

Note: Windows Live contacts aren't archived, so please be aware that they won't appear within the message history.

Description

This article explains how you can retrieve old messages from the archives stored locally on your computer.

Resolution

Archives are saved in lightly encrypted .DAT files, and can only be viewed by the Yahoo! ID that created them. These archives are stored locally on your system, so the conversations held on one computer are only accessible from that computer.

Archives are not stored on the Yahoo! Messenger servers. If the archived messages are not set to "save," or if archives are missing or deleted from your computer, then they cannot be retrieved.

NOTE: Uninstalling Yahoo! Messenger will NOT remove these files.

To view your message Archives:

Sign in to Yahoo! Messenger.

Select Contacts in the main menu.

Select Message Archive.

This displays the archive, with messages organized by your contact names.

Hope I Helped !

• aguila

Yahoo Conversation History Not Loading

Yup i have the same problem, even if i put my mouse on yahoo mail in messenger it says i have none. But if i click it 9 times out of 10 there is mail. And it is absolutely IMPOSSIBLE to reach a real person. And they make money with the ads that show up on the bottom of the messenger box. I guess the only way to get their attention would be for advertisers to pull their ads. But the problem is in their mail program. Messenger and Mail don't see each other. I've reported this problem 4 times with no results, they just don't care.

Nothing we're told to try to retrieve the whole message works. This happens in the Messenger 11.5. Why can't Yahoo Messenger fix this issue since so many are having the same problem. Seems to me no one is paying attention. This is very frustrating. Why give updates when they don't work right. You can't even contact anyone for an answer.

Terrible - its been a year since this yahoo conversation history issue exists. Even delete does not work properly - shows up in the last seen messages. Yahoo is starting to look like a immature company

The solution as given by the above poster does not work! I tried it verbatim - this is an ongoing frequent problem with the lastest version of YM which is 11.5.0.228-US. I have tried earlier versions of YM and the same problem as well...

While I'm no expert on problems like this, I sure as xxxx am not a newbie either. Yahoo has to be aware of this issue - but rather than admit culpability they put out useless solutions that are just that - useless...

You'd stand a better chance of hitting the lottery than you would getting a straight answer from any of the geeks at Yahoo as to what is causing this, and what they are doing to fix it so that it stays fixed...

They shove those crappy ads in our faces, and expected us to click on them, but yet when we expect them to fix issues that come up - ain't nobody home at Yahoo...

The issue is clearly with Yahoo - though they won't admit it...

YM itself works fine, the issue is the Conversation History is not working - this is as of 11/22/2014...

One person I heard from said if he was paying for YM, he'd be demanding his money back - and I (and many others) would be joining him - includng me...

The older versions 10.0 and above, but before 11.0 don't have this proble, as it saves your Conversation Histroy on your computer unless you set it not to...

I heard someone say that with the latest version it's saved on a separate server...is this true???

what I've done to work around this problem is neither elegant or cutting edge.

when i'm done with what ever conversation I've had and before I shut the IM window down I sweep the entire conversation and print it out.

As I said neither elegant bla bla ...but at least I have a copy of the conversation

why am i unable to import conversation logs from a previous version of Yahoo Messenger. There is no import functionality on either 11.0 or 11.5

john

I have done what they said to do and still my conversation history does not come up. And I have had expert's tell me that its yahoo that needs to fix this and they wont for I have written them for help and all hey tell me is that they fixed it and its not fixed . So who can we depend on ?

@Danny,yes that's true and it's been that way for quite a while.I have problems with conversation history,emoticons and YM not notifying me that I have new mail.Uninstalling and reinstalling make no difference.Everything on my PC is up to date so it's definitely yahoo.I totally agree with you about yahoo and their lack of support,and it just keeps getting worse.It may be a sexist view but too damn bad,everything has gone downhill since they have a woman as CEO.It was bad enough before,since then,the downhill slide has just picked up speed.

• Dave5 years agoReport

no effort being made to fix the problem,do they care if we join skype

• Meghan

Hi Kay that's what I get and I have reported this to yahoo had no reply