1997 nissan mass air flow sensor problem?

thank you in advance for helping me. My 97 maxima was running fine until all of a sudden it shut off on me. It started right back up and died again. I had to rev and rev the engine and then the RPMs leveled out and i could drive it. At high speeds I could feel te decrease in power and it even died on me a couple times at idle speed. I had pep boys check it out and they said i need a mass air flow meter, and it had to be straight from nissan, no aftermarket because I would have te same issue. They also said i need a knock sensor but the driveability issue was caused by the MAF. I bought a cheap MAF from a auto parts store and put it in and the car went bezerk so I put the old MAF back in, and the car runs smooth but after not long does it act up again. There was no check engine light prior to pepboys looking at it. After I put the aftermarket MAF and put the original back, the check engine light came on and scanned the code for MAF. What is your opinion? do I need to have a nissan part or will Bosch/direct OE replacement work too? is the knock sensor a serious issue? Thank you all in advance again.

• ?
    Best Answer

Sensors need to be bought in dealers...It happened to my 97 Nissan Pickup and it didn't work with a auto parts sensor...I know its expensive in dealers but this darn cars don't want cheap stuff lol.

hope you get your car running.

Source(s): hope i helped

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

thank you in advance for helping me. My 97 maxima was running fine until all of a sudden it shut off on me. It started right back up and died again. I had to rev and rev the engine and then the RPMs leveled out and i could drive it. At high speeds I could feel te decrease in power and it even died...

Source(s): 1997 nissan mass air flow sensor problem: https://tr.im/IN6Rr

they sell a spray can to clean MAF sensors,worked on my nissan truck, about 8.00 dollars

just do not touch the small wires in the sensor

Should be able to do it by dissconect the battery terminals for 10 seconds and put back on. Also check your spark plugs for carbon build up of unburnt fuel. that also causes lots of problems on start up.