Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

J
Lv 5
J asked in Arts & HumanitiesGenealogy · 9 years ago

Ancestry DNA Test....?

I am a male from the USA. I know that my Paternal and Maternal Great grandparents came from Germany, England and Norway. I suspect that after coming from Europe one of them had a "fling" with an American Indian. If I get tested by with 3 DNA tests, will it show if one of my (great) grandparents had American Indian blood? What if it was my Paternal Grandmother? Would that show Indian ancestry?

Update:

Joyce B

"Wouldn't someone have noticed?" Yes. I have noticed.

Please consider only answering the question asked.

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

No, DNA Testing will not show if you have Native American Ancestry. Regardless of what the public and the (money making) Testing Companies claim.

First of all, Native Americans are the most poorly sampled population in the world. Most of the current DNA samples (attributed to Native Americans) are obtained from the Mestizo population living in the United States.

The testing companies have no idea which indigenous people the "Mestizo markers" belong to, other than they are associated with Latin American countries.

Everyone always says test with FamilytreeDNA (Testing Company).

You should have a look at the FamilytreeDNA "Amerind Founder" (Project) to get an Idea of their results.

http://www.familytreedna.com/public/AmerindFounder...

Out of the 343 members of this group who claim to have Native American Ancestry, very few have been proven to have (female) Native American markers, although many show up in one of the Mitochondrial DNA haplotype groups of A, B, C, D or X. (Which "may" indicate Native American ancestry). The known Native American haplotypes are specifically A2, B2, C1, D1, X2a and X2g.

If you look at haplotype A. . . .

The telltale Native American markers that must be present are (HVR1 Mutation) "16111T" and (HVR2 Mutation) "64T". These "two" markers "must" be present to indicate the sample belongs to the Native American haplotype "A2".

If you look down the entries you can clearly see one or another of those markers are absent or unknown in the samples.

Look at the other haplotypes B, C, D and X and you will likely find missing and unknown markers there too. How many of the samples listed actually fall into the "known Native" American haplotypes?

These are only some of the questionable samples your DNA would be compared with.

I'm sure these people were told they have Native American ancestry, in spite of the fact that the markers are missing, are unknown, or don't even fall into Native American haplotypes.

Testing Companies, simply tell people what they want to hear. Basically it's anything for a Buck. And BIG bucks too.

---------------

ETA

The reason testing would not identify Native American ancestry is because most of all Female bloodline DNA is lost in the male line. Males inherit their mt DNA (female markers) only from their mother (mother's mother etc) not from their paternal grandmothers.

Furthermore as you can see in the link, people have many of the same markers, but lacking specific markers rules out Native American ancestry.

Although the Testing Companies do use the markers that "could" belong to a Native American haplotype to compute mathematically the probability that you have Native American ancestry.

That's how they get the percentage people are always talking about. It's not a "fact" it's an estimated probability.

• 9 years ago

Autosomal DNA testing covers the ancestors for 4 or 5 generations back but will ONLY show useful results if other distant cousins have been tested by that company. Y-DNA only shows your father line: your father, his father, his father... Since females don't carry the Y-chromosome, they do not influence this test. The mtDNA test only shows your mother line: your mother, her mother, her mother etc. No one else. If this is the person you suspect is native american, the mtDNA test would work.

Since Ancestry just started the Autosomal testing, you might get better results from a more established company in the field such as 23 and me or Family Tree DNA.

• Yes, autosomal DNA testing will reveal if you have Native American Indian DNA. You don't need 3 tests, only one. Autosomal DNA testing reveals ancestral origins across all ancestral lines unlike Y-DNA and mtDNA testing which only informs us about our direct paternal and maternal ancestral lines respectively. Y-DNA and mtDNA would not work in this particular case, but autosomal DNA would.

[You didn't specifically ask for a testing recommendation, but it sounds like you are looking for one, there are only two legit companies offering this to the public right now - they are 23andMe and Family Tree DNA (Family Finder test). AncestryDNA is in Beta testing.]

Source(s): Extensive personal genomics experience
  • Teresa
    Lv 4
    5 years ago

Your surname is a word and words come from languages not countries so that will never tell you who your ancestors were or where they came from, nor will it tell you what religion they were......... and a DNA test won't either, you are wasting your time and money.............. research the records of your ancestors that is the ONLY way..............

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 9 years ago

Yes, it would show a native American admixture. Is there a reason why you suspect you have native American ancestors?

• 9 years ago

Why do you think one of your great grandparents had a 'fling'? Was one of your grandparents the result of the fling? Who do you think it was?

Is it possible that your great grandmother cheated on your great grandfather and had a baby that she passed off as her husbands? Wouldn't someone notice?

http://genealogy.about.com/cs/geneticgenealogy/a/d...

• 9 years ago

Yes it would

Source(s): Genealogical researcher 40+ years, Anthropologists & Instructor - retired.
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.