Why do people not "believe" in evolution?

It's strange that I should even need to use the word believe. It feels like I'm asking why some people don't believe in gravity =P Jokes aside, I find it difficult to wrap my mind around how anyone can simply think evolution doesn't happen (macro and/or micro) when there's such a mountain of... show more It's strange that I should even need to use the word believe. It feels like I'm asking why some people don't believe in gravity =P

Jokes aside, I find it difficult to wrap my mind around how anyone can simply think evolution doesn't happen (macro and/or micro) when there's such a mountain of evidence and observations to back it up.

So far as I know the rest of the theories for how life started have such a small fraction of evidence for them (or no evidence in many cases).

I've watched many documentaries and read books to see why people can say things like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=UkBmhM0R2A0

but all of the arguments brought up in them either have no backing when researched further or have strong counterarguments backed by validated evidence.
Update: I refuse to accept that there is a large portion of the Americas that is "retarded".

They have to have some logical reason as to why they do not think evolution is valid.