Why do people not "believe" in evolution?

It's strange that I should even need to use the word believe. It feels like I'm asking why some people don't believe in gravity =P

Jokes aside, I find it difficult to wrap my mind around how anyone can simply think evolution doesn't happen (macro and/or micro) when there's such a mountain of evidence and observations to back it up.

So far as I know the rest of the theories for how life started have such a small fraction of evidence for them (or no evidence in many cases).

I've watched many documentaries and read books to see why people can say things like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedd...

but all of the arguments brought up in them either have no backing when researched further or have strong counterarguments backed by validated evidence.

Update:

I refuse to accept that there is a large portion of the Americas that is "retarded".

They have to have some logical reason as to why they do not think evolution is valid.

15 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 years ago
    Best Answer

The root of the problem is a desire to reinforce biblical inerrancy by insisting on a strictly literal interpretation of scripture.

For example, in 1633, Galileo was found guilty of heresy because he dared to assert that the Earth moved around a central Sun. The Inquisition's case against Galileo was based on these scriptures: 1 Chronicles 16:30, Psalm 93:1, Psalm 96:10, Psalm 104:5, Ecclesiastes 1:5, Joshua 10:12-13, and Isaiah 40:22. (...worthwhile reading, if only to illustrate the absurdity of reaching a vast conclusion based on a "half-vast" premise.)

Of course, these days we all know Galileo was correct, the Inquisition was wrong, and everybody now interprets those scriptures metaphorically. The reason the Inquisition erred was because they arbitrarily insisted God's biblical word is inerrant and must be understood literally, even when it clearly contradicted the observed behavior of God's most magnificent purported creation -- the Universe we all inhabit.

Modern Creationists, intent on demonstrating their unquestioning faith, are repeating the Inquisition's error. They are so certain Genesis is God's inerrant word, they blindly insist evolution is impossible, despite massive evidence that it is not only possible, but is the central organizing principle of all life on Earth. The unintended consequence is that millions of educated people have chosen to reject the intellectual hypocrisy of Christianity, largely because strident fundamentalists insist all believers must deny their modern education as a prerequisite to being a "real" Christian. The explosion of atheism this century and the emerging cold war on Christianity are the direct result of narrow-minded fundamentalist ideologues arrogantly refusing to accept that the Bible's timeless wisdom can still be found when scripture is interpreted metaphorically. If Christianity is to avoid becoming mere mythology, the Bible must be interpreted metaphorically and thus remain consistent with mankind's developing knowledge of the Universe we all occupy. Evolution is not a question of faith, it is an incontrovertible verifiable fact and relentlessly insisting otherwise for the sake of a simple-minded literal reading of an ancient Hebrew folk-tale, is destroying Christianity. (...and once again, because a vast conclusion has been based on the same "half-vast" premise.)

• Macro evolution is a fact? Sorry but there is no evidence to support your claim

• 8 years ago

I think it's because a lot of people who don't believe in evolution are highly religious, and it's the same for them as it is for you. After hearing so much "proof" to the contrary, they cannot comprehend a different version of the laws of the universe than the ones they hold to be true. They were taught that the world works one way, and admitting it works another would be contradicting their entire set of beliefs, because if one thing was wrong, who's to say that it isn't all wrong? Hope that helps.

• 8 years ago

Primarily, it seems to be the fear that accepting evolution would contradict their religious beliefs. Either it would force them to modify what they have always believed creation to be, or ideally (perhaps unfortunately for theists) it may cause them to question all of their beliefs.

Few have the courage to keep an open mind as they learn more about the world around us. I commend you for exposing yourself to the arguments against evolution, because I think it is very important to at least hear both sides.

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

Charles Darwin failed miserably in his quest to validate his argument on Evolution.

God created the Heaven and Earth as the Holy Bible declares (Genesis 1:1). Don't put faith in theories. Have faith in God.

Charles Darwin did not use good logic in his famous book, "The Origin of Species."

W.R. Thompson, a Canadian entomologist(entomology-study of insects) of international repute, wrote in his introduction to the centennial edition of Darwin's Origen, "Darwin did not show in the Origin that species had originated by natural selection; he merely showed, on the basis of certain facts and assumptions, how this might have happened, and as he had convinced himself he was able to convince others.

Chapter 4 of the Origin, entitled "Natural Selection; or the Survival of the Fittest," occupies 44 pages in the 1958 mentor edition. In this chapter Darwin used the language of speculation, imagination, and assumption at least 187 times. For example, pages 118 and 119 contain the following phrases; "may have been," "is supposed to," perhaps," "If we suppose," "may still be," 'it is probable," "will generally tend," "may" "will generally tend," 'If," 'if...assumed," "supposed," "supposed," "probably," "It seems, therefore, extremely probable," and "We may suppose." Is this really the language of science? No, it is not.

Of Darwin's speculative arguments Thompson wrote, "....Personal convictions, simple possibilities, are presented as if they were proofs, or at least valid arguments in favor of the theory....The demonstration can be modified without difficulty to fit any conceivable case. It is without scientific value, since it cannot be verified; but since the imagination has free rein, it is easy to convey the impression that a concrete example of real transmutation (change of one species to another) has been given."

Source: Thompson, W.R., Introduction to The Origin of Species by Charles Darwin, E.P. Dutton and Co., New York.

Have faith dear friends in God, not theories.

Genesis 1:1

Isaiah 45:18

Colossians 1:16

Hebrews 11:1-6

Genesis 2:1-3

Exodus 20:8-11

Psalm 14:1

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    8 years ago

Typically the people who don't "believe" in evolution are simply people who do not understand it. They use strawmen arguments like "If humans came from monkeys, why are there still monkeys?" so you can tell they don't have a clear understanding of it in the first place.

Another part of it is that evolution is a revolutionary idea. It's hard for us to not anthropomorphize everything and attribute it to a creator. After all, that seems to make sense because we ourselves are creators.

• Andrea
    Lv 4
    8 years ago

What I don't understand is why religious people say evolution can't be possible just because they believe God exists.

You'd think that they're argument would instead be, "God invented evolution!".

• 8 years ago

People can make answers. But not reason. (This is your so called freewill.)

God can make reason. But not answer. (This is your so called fate and chance.)

Hope it helps.

"Truth is not a knowledge."

Truth follows with a reason. Knowledge follows with an evidence.

ps. If I have to make an answer, my answer is evolution by itself.

Source(s): uniontera poem _ type C
  • 8 years ago

Because they prefer fairy tales over reality.

They are so invested in their preferred brand of mythology that they will engage in mental contortions and abject denial as to why their magical book is right and objective science is wrong.

They are delusional and in denial.

• 8 years ago

because people are afraid that everything they have been told isnt true. just stubborness i think mostly. some people cant even be okay with people believing other religions than they do. you cant possibly expect them to "believe" something as awesome as evolution.

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

people dont "believe" in evolution because of all the facts and evidence and the proof and examples.... its hard to have blind faith in facts and impossible to just "believe" something that has been proven.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.