?
Lv 4
? asked in Computers & InternetHardwareDesktops · 8 years ago

Is getting an SSD worth it?

I am currently using a Seagate Barracuda 3 Gb/s HDD and I am thinking about buying a 128GB Crucial m4 SSD. Will I notice a huge performance increase?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

SSD's are superior in terms of speed. They however are not so good with storage size. The best thing you can really do with one is to install Windows or whatever OS your using on it as well as some other items you may use. If you would like to see a video demonstration of SSD's vs HDD's here's a video from NCIX showing off SSD speeds: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lR0XoHFU6Y

Youtube thumbnail

&feature=plcp

• 8 years ago

there is a performance increase to 6 Gb/s but for me the huge price isn't worth it. i would wait a year or so till SSD's are cheaper

• 8 years ago

Yes, you will see an enormous increase, assuming that your computer is fairly new.

Be aware, though, that SSD's don't have proven reliability yet, and they have been known to fail catastrophically without warning after about a year, so good backups are very important.

• 8 years ago

I don't feel they're worth the price. I will just stay with my 1.5 TB and my 1 TB external WD hard drive. I like plenty of storage space.

I as of now have 2200 plus GB of free space.

My computer runs like greased lightning as it is and I don't need anymore speed.

Source(s): Computer Technician
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.