Why Gay Marriage? Why not just settle for Civil Unions which have the same benefits..only difference is name?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • Jay
    Lv 6
    8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

The following are some of the 1100 benefits civil unions do NOT have that marriage does!!!!!

Status as "next-of-kin" for hospital visits and medical decisions

Right to make a decision about last rites

Right to make a decision about the disposal of loved ones remains

Immigration and residency for partners from other countries

Automatic inheritance in the absence of a will

Crime victims recovery benefits

Domestic violence protection orders

Judicial protections and immunity

Public safety officers death benefits

Spousal veterans benefits

Social Security

Joint parental rights of children

Joint adoption

Medicare

Joint filing of tax returns

Wrongful-death benefits for surviving partner and children

Bereavement or sick leave to care for partner or children

Child support

Joint Insurance Plans

Tax credits including: Child tax credit, Hope and lifetime learning credits

Deferred Compensation for pension and IRAs

Estate and gift tax benefits

Welfare and public assistance

Joint housing for elderly

Credit protection

Medical care for survivors and dependents of certain veterans.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 8 years ago

Come on now, your know that is not the case.

If it was, why would people like you then care if the entitlements was equal, it is just a name, marriage or civil union. And if it is the case (the exact same) why cant a man and a women have a civil union?

Or maybe why don't we turn the tables and no longer allow marriage, just allow civil unions unless if its a same sex couple, then allow them to marry.

Ok lest consider this.

I am a middle aged while male. I want to learn to drive. And upon completing all the tasks required I am issued with a drivers license. Now what if the law said a black person cant have a drives license but instead because they want to drive we will issue them a "right to drive certificate."

So us white people get a drivers license and our black neighbour can have a right to drive certificate. It has all the same rights he will be told.

• reme_1
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

It's not the same.

We would still be treated as second class citizens.

In the begining civil unions were acceptable to us; the religious 'right' made it a large problem so we demanded the whole shebang: marriage.

There are over 1100 laws that protect a married couple, none of which a gay couple can get without the piece of paper.

• abcdef
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

NOT the same thing at all. Marriage protects not only the individuals in the union, but any children as well. And YES, there are children in some of these marriages. At any rate, I got married and not in a so-called Christian ceremony. You so-called Christians who are so full of hate really have to be careful because you are sinning and you're going to end up in hell and you know there you're going to meet a whole lot of sodomites. and you know what happens to pretty little Christians when there are a lot of sodomites around. You will become the b*****es in perpetuity.

Good luck.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • CJ, I dont need your nor your church's permission to be with the person I love. Most gay people feel the same as I do. We want equality, full stop!

Civil Union =/= Marriage.

• 11UN
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

A civil union does not grant the same legal security and social recognition as marriage.

(Campaigners advocate civil marriage. We do not want religious marriage.)

• Bast
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

If Civil Unions are so great let straight people take them, But obviously you realize they aren't since you're demanding we "settle" for them.

BTW, the difference extends beyond the name.

http://www.now.org/issues/marriage/marriage_unions...

http://www.glad.org/uploads/docs/publications/cu-v...

• CJ
    Lv 6
    8 years ago

Because a "union" would not suffice to them. Their ultimate goal is to obtain sanction from the Christian church as a legitimate "marriage", and that will never happen as long as the Church maintains their obedience to the Bible.

It's not about "marriage", "unions" or "benefits". It's not about "equality". It's about them getting their perverse lifestyle legitimized by the Christian church. It will not, and should not ever happen.

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

totally agree we should just be happy with our civil rights. that's what im sayin.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.