Why not take pads out of football?

In my opinion, most of the injuries in football come from tackling like maniacs. Running head first at someone, using the head as a battering ram, is bound to cause concussions. Or diving at a player's knee like a missile; it's ridiculous how any players have working knees. Also considering how high the... show more In my opinion, most of the injuries in football come from tackling like maniacs.
Running head first at someone, using the head as a battering ram, is bound to cause concussions. Or diving at a player's knee like a missile; it's ridiculous how any players have working knees. Also considering how high the tackles are, the head gets hit so often, these injuries are unavoidable.

What do you guys think about the idea of football without protection? No helmets, no shoulder pads?

The tackling would switch to rugby style: nothing above the shoulders, and you need to use your arms in a tackle, rather than just body checking a guy. In rugby, most of the contact is with the shoulders, which is much safer than the head.

I've played rugby and (american) football. I play number 8 and running back, so I know a lot about being hit in both sports. I play at a lower level, but the amount of pads in football means I never feel anything, even in a 'huge' hit.

I know this will never be implemented, just some food for thought.