How did Charlie Parker influence jazz today?

How did Charlie Parker influence jazz today? I already know that he helped create bebop, liked fast tempos, and could play in every key. Anything else?

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

He was under the influence of heroin a lot and wrote some of his great pieces that way. He wrote Relaxin at Camarillo where he was committed for what would be called detox today but was really a kind of mental institution. There was no other place to go in those days.

• Login to reply the answers
  • Geoff
    Lv 4
    8 years ago

In a lot of ways.

One thing was his compositions. A lot of them are jazz standards and pretty popular ones at that.

Another thing was the fact that he could get such a great sound of a garbage horn and mouthpiece. He constantly sold his horn for heroin (unfortunately), and often played on stock pieces and beat-up horns.

The way he soloed was the most influential. I mean of course he could play in every key, but the way he played in every key was amazing. There were no "wrong" notes in his solos. He was one of the first to really experiment with playing notes that would traditionally be considered "wrong" in the key. Before Bird, it was almost unheard of to play the kinds of notes he did. The way he used these notes sounded excellent too- it was very lyrical and wasn't insanely dissonant and painful to listen to.

One of my favourite quotes which also sort of explains his influence is "Music is your own experience, your own thoughts, your wisdom. If you don't live it, it won't come out of your horn. They teach you there's a boundary line to music. But, man, there's no boundary line to art."

Source(s): Studied Bird's music a lot
  • 3 years ago

i think of between the main severe aspects of Jazz is likewise between the biggest contributor to standard varieties immediately. Jazz track often emphasizes off beats or beats which would be vulnerable beats in classical track (2 and four). it quite is something you will locate in maximum standard track. magnitude of rhythm over magnitude of notes and prolonged harmonies are different aspects of jazz that have affected immediately's track.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.