promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

Can the police track and tap my cell phone?

I'm a victim of an assault case but some of the cops do not completely believe my story that I do not know the assailant since assaults by strangers are rare.

Can the police track me using my cellphone, have it tapped, read all subsequent texts and listen to all calls made? I recently gave the police my cellphone to download an unknown/blocked number so that they can find the actual number or something. They said that would be all. My bf told me that the police plays dirty though and they probably have it tapped and tracked. He also noticed that everywhere we went yesterday, there were cops all around, and he felt followed, but I thought he was just being paranoid.

17 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Question? Who told you that assaults by strangers were rare?

From what I can recall from college, assaults by strangers are almost as common as assaults by someone known to you. Of course, a lot will depend on the type of assault that we are talking about. Domestic abuse is almost entirely committed by someone you know. However, if you are involved in an armed robbery, in another locality from your home, it is unlikely that you will know the perpetrator. Sexual assault can fall either way. You may have met the rapist before, but then again, a lot of women are stalked and attacked by someone who only knows them and they could not identify them prior to the attack. If we take a standard drive by, some of the victims may know the perpetrators while others, innocent bystanders, may have no idea who shot them.

Simply put, they can track your cell phone if it is in use. This technology has been around long before cell phones came into being. Basically, cell phones are the equivalent of radios, which can be tracked or located with the proper technology. Newer cell phones have GPS, Global Positioning Systems, in them. What these systems do is to locate a series of satellites, in orbit around the Earth, and use a form of triangulation to determine your location. This has been in use since at least the 1980s. Back then, though, these units were bigger than most cell phones are today. In any event, the majority of them require activation in order to locate your position. If they are off, then they cannot transmit and receive data. For the most part, active use of the GPS drains your battery so it tends to be optional.

At this point, I am stretching beyond my knowledge due to the progress of technology. There would be two ways that your phone could be tracked. The first, and probably most common, would be to use the signal towers that you connect to to give a location. This would be an estimate, but considerably cheaper. The second would require major government technology that could track the information in your cell phone, on or off. To the best of my knowledge, this is not available to law enforcement or the general public. The best you can get is a tracker that will connect to the satellites periodically and then record the information for later retrieval. This means that they would have to retrieve the tracker and download the information into a computer before they would know where you were. I do not know of any real-time trackers that are not in use by the government for special operations.

Tapping, however, is a piece of cake. There are laws against it, but then it is still done. The BS about requiring a warrant to tap your phone is a crock of legal whooey. Yes, there are laws in effect, but my experience with law enforcement has been that they disregard these laws, or obey them, when it fits their needs. The federal government has made it illegal for scanners to be able to tap cell phones, unless illegally modified, but they can be used to eavesdrop on cell phones and wireless phones, without modification, if you have the right know-how. The police, however, do not need to worry about such inconveniences because they are the law. In most cases, all they have to do is flash the badge and they can get whatever they want. Very few people have the money to fight this in court, especially when the courts are also part of the state, like the police. Since 9/11, they can justify nearly anything with the right wording.

If they do not believe your side of the story, about the assault, then they won't waste their time. For that matter, even if they do believe your side of the story they are unlikely to worry with it unless you have powerful connections or good deal of money. The exception to this is if you are dealing drugs, which is all the government cares about today, in which they will do nearly anything to get a conviction. If this was a case of rape, it is unlikely to go anywhere anyway. From the police all the way to the courts, they simply don't care about women. Sad but true, and the fact.

Police patrols tend to be predictable. They will be out heavy on Friday and Saturday because those are prime drinking nights. Sundays onward tend to be less watched. Precipitation tends to put them in central locations so they can work at a lot of traffic reports. Today, it's rare that they actually patrol. But, for you to actually be followed, and to see them, that would only be in the event that you are the president's daughter, and then it would be Secret Service agents. They simply do not have the manpower to do such things. I suspect, but from my experience, that your boyfriend had something to hide and was worried that they might catch him.

Hope this helps some,

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 8 years ago

These are two questions. 1) is it possible to track and tap a cell phone? Yes. A subpoena can be sent to your cell phone company and they can provide all kinds of information. How much depends on your cell company and what kind of phone you have. If the phone has GPS tracking then of course it can be tracked by GPS. Even if it doesn't all cell phones are constantly sending out their location to any nearby cell towers. That's why when you call a cell phone it doesn't take 10 minutes for the phone company to figure out where they need to route the call to. So a list of all the cell towers the phone has been pinging can be gotten, which can narrow down a location to usually a few square miles. As for listening to the calls that would require a court order or search warrant. It would also require some more complex technology. Since it's a cell phone they can't just tap the line, they'd need to clone the phone. They can also do a "dump" on your phone if they actually have it and retrieve text messages, photos, voice messages, contacts, call logs, emails, anything that is on the phone. And depending on the specific phone sometimes it's even possible to retrieve deleted items. This would require a search warrant to do, or at the minimum your consent.

2) Did the police tap and track your phone in the situation you described? Of course not. Your boyfriend is a fool. What reason would they have to do it? They think you're making a false report? So what? They'll just close the case if that's what they think. Why go to all that trouble to clone your phone and track it over some BS like that? Never mind that any information they obtained that would would be useless in court, since it would have been illegally obtained. Again, why bother? As if they don't have anything more important to deal with. And assaults by strangers are actually VERY common.

Source(s): 13 years in law enforcement
  • 4 years ago

Source(s): Reverse Cell Phone Lookup : http://PhoneSearch.oruty.com/?hei
  • 3 years ago

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 8 years ago

Newer smart phones have GPS in them and can be tracked. Even older phones send out an ID number signal so that when somebody calls you the phone company can find you and complete the call. Cops can read your texts but cannot listen to old phone calls (as far as I know). They do need a warrant signed by a judge or your permission to tap your phone. I don't know if they need a warrant to access your phone records or not though. Otherwise the information is illegally obtained and cannot be used in court. Finally, News Flash: Cops ARE everywhere these days. When I was a kid you could go 3 or 4 days without seeing a cop. Nowadays you can't go down the street without seeing 3 or 4 cops.

• Anonymous
    6 years ago

Here is the most useful system verify people online by conducting an instant online background check. Reports may include Criminal Records, Addresses, Phone Numbers, Social Profiles, Court Records, Marriage and Divorce Records, Relatives, Email Addresses, Property Records and more!

Its a good method to begin for you: http://everified.biz/trust-348.html

The web page will let you have a totally free scan in order to check if any kind of information is available. A small report is conducted totally free. For a in depth record its a tiny payment.

You Want Know:

• Want to know who is Calling?

• Need to find someone based on their Address?

• Find anyone by their Name, Email address?

• Considering a Criminal Background check online?

eVerify is exactly what you need! - http://everified.biz/trust-348.html

Access one of the largest email databases on the internet and uncover someone’s name and address based only on their email address!

eVerify can help you uncover the identity of the person behind the phone number.

Use Criminal Records Search to uncover all that you can about someone's past. Learn about an individual’s criminal history and find out the details about their prior offenses. Find out if someone close to you has been convicted of a serious offense such as sex crime and more.

With websites available online to let you know about the background check of a person, phone lookup, criminal records,.. Everything you need about anyone or anything! eVerify is detective company usually do background checks. They reputable that has been around since 1999 and they never had any issues with that site from the last few years. I think you should try them: http://everified.biz/trust-348.html

You can search for 4 informative search options: People, Background, Criminal Records, and Social Media. Just one in any of the information: Name, Phone Number, Address, Email, ...

You are only a few easy steps away from uncovering the truth about someone’s background!

If you come across a service that makes you believe that you can find the name of the owner of a certain cell phone number for free, I can only tell you that you will probably get information that is very unreliable.

Get ALL the ANYONE information You need Now! - http://everified.biz/trust-348.html

So, it's better if you use a service like eVerify that requires you to pay a small fee, but at least you'll know that you will get the name you want in no time.

Source(s): eVerify - Trust but Verify: http://everified.biz/trust-348.html
  • Anonymous
    6 years ago

You can check here the best service: http://backgroundcheckfree.info/Inteligator-334.ht...

It's great service!

It could be used for a much deeper search. You can use it to get hold of different varieties of Background Reports, Phone Lookups, Criminal Records, as well as Addresses, Names, Email,.. you can get Unlimited Reports...

You can have these kind of informations:

Phone Investigations

Background Searches

Criminal Records

Inmate Searches

Unlimited People Searches

Sex Offender Searches

and much more...

Get ALL the ANYONE information You need Now! - http://backgroundcheckfree.info/Inteligator-334.ht...

100% Confidential and Instant Results! Trust it! It's a great service.

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

This is the best option for a reverse phone number lookup https://tr.im/721a7

Receiving a one or two hang up calls each month is probably nothing to worry about, but when those calls increase in frequency and if it happens in the middle of the night then you must do something to stop it, before it starts affecting your life. With the help of this services you can take away the one advantage these people have - their anonymity.

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/awdbZ

You must smoke pot to ask such a stupid question! And no the police wouldn't waste time and money on tapping your phone when all they have to do is go to Yahoo Answers and track your butt down! Or someone rat on you! You're such a dumb sh*t!

• 8 years ago

Yes, police and almost anybody can track your activities by following your cell phone signal. It is not difficult. As to whether or not they are tapping your phone, that is unlikely. The unknown number is a clue. The police are may request your phone records to help their investigation, not to attempt to prove something against you. They are not following you around, or listening in on your conversations

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.