Can the police track and tap my cell phone?

I'm a victim of an assault case but some of the cops do not completely believe my story that I do not know the assailant since assaults by strangers are rare. Can the police track me using my cellphone, have it tapped, read all subsequent texts and listen to all calls made? I recently gave the police my... show more I'm a victim of an assault case but some of the cops do not completely believe my story that I do not know the assailant since assaults by strangers are rare.

Can the police track me using my cellphone, have it tapped, read all subsequent texts and listen to all calls made? I recently gave the police my cellphone to download an unknown/blocked number so that they can find the actual number or something. They said that would be all. My bf told me that the police plays dirty though and they probably have it tapped and tracked. He also noticed that everywhere we went yesterday, there were cops all around, and he felt followed, but I thought he was just being paranoid.