why was god so cruel to job?

Best Answer

No good reason is ever given in the book.

Satan claimed that Job was only being a good servant of God because he had everything his heart could desire, to which God of course should have answered "Maybe. So what's the problem? I am happy, he is happy - everybody's happy.".

Instead, God allowed Satan to destroy Job's life.

Job would have been entitled to be furious at God, because God had sold him out. But he wasn't even that. When he finally asked God 'why', he never got an answer, except "How dare you ask me to justify my actions?".

So basically, the whole book is an explanation for why bad stuff happens to good people. It's because God just does whatever he wants and nobody can call him on his sh!t.

That's like asking why lord Voldemort was cruel to Harry potter

Source(s): Common Sense
  • Allen

Wait, so Satan asks permission before he can inflict harm on someone?

Then, this IS Gods doing...

(From the wall'o'text reply... Yes I read it.)

--not superstitious

For the Lulz obviously.

Job disagrees with you and I go with Job.

To win a bet.

• JW625

Satan charged God with lying and implied that Jehovah was unfair in not letting Adam and Eve decide for themselves what was right and what was wrong. After Adam and Eve sinned and as the earth began to be filled with their offspring, Satan questioned the motive of all humans. “People do not serve God because they love him,” Satan charged. “Give me a chance, and I can turn anyone against God.” The account of the man named Job shows that this is what Satan believed. Who was Job, and how was he involved with Satan’s challenge?

Job lived about 3,600 years ago. He was a good man, for Jehovah said: “There is no one like him in the earth, a man blameless and upright, fearing God and turning aside from bad.” (Job 1:8) Job was pleasing to God.

Satan questioned Job’s motive for serving God. The Devil said to Jehovah: “Have not you yourself put up a hedge about [Job] and about his house and about everything that he has all around? The work of his hands you have blessed, and his livestock itself has spread abroad in the earth. But, for a change, thrust out your hand, please, and touch everything he has and see whether he will not curse you to your very face.”—Job 1:10, 11.

Satan thus argued that Job served God just for what he got in return. The Devil also charged that if Job was tested, he would turn against God. How did Jehovah respond to Satan’s challenge? Since the issue involved Job’s motive, Jehovah allowed Satan to test Job. In this way, Job’s love for God—or lack of it—would be clearly shown.

Satan soon tested Job in a number of ways. Some of Job’s animals were stolen, and others were killed. Most of his servants were slaughtered. This brought economic hardship. Further tragedy struck when Job’s ten children died in a storm. Despite these terrible events, however, “Job did not sin or ascribe anything improper to God.”—Job 1:22.

Satan did not give up. He must have thought that although Job could endure the loss of his possessions, servants, and children, he would turn against God if he became sick. Jehovah let Satan strike Job with a disgusting, painful disease. But even this did not cause Job to lose faith in God. Rather, he firmly said: “Until I expire I shall not take away my integrity!”—Job 27:5.

Job was not aware that Satan was the cause of his troubles. Not knowing the details about the Devil’s challenge of Jehovah’s sovereignty, Job feared that God was the source of his problems. (Job 6:4; 16:11-14) Still, he kept his integrity to Jehovah. And Satan’s claim that Job served God for selfish reasons was proved false by Job’s faithful course!

Job’s faithfulness provided Jehovah with a forceful reply to Satan’s insulting challenge. Job truly was Jehovah’s friend, and God rewarded him for his faithful course.—Job 42:12-17.

The issue of integrity to God that was raised by Satan was not directed against Job alone. You too are involved. This is clearly shown at Proverbs 27:11, where Jehovah’s Word says: “Be wise, my son, and make my heart rejoice, that I may make a reply to him that is taunting me.” These words, written hundreds of years after Job’s death, show that Satan was still taunting God and accusing His servants. When we live in a way that pleases Jehovah, we actually help to give an answer to Satan’s false charges, and in that way we make God’s heart rejoice. How do you feel about that? Would it not be wonderful to have a part in answering the Devil’s lying claims, even if it means making certain changes in your life?

Notice that Satan said: “Everything that a man has he will give in behalf of his soul.” (Job 2:4) By saying “a man,” Satan made it clear that his charge applied not just to Job but to all humans. That is a very important point. Satan has called into question your integrity to God. The Devil would like to see you disobey God and abandon a righteous course when difficulties arise. How might Satan try to accomplish this?

Satan uses various methods to try to turn people away from God. On the one hand, he attacks “like a roaring lion, seeking to devour someone.” (1 Peter 5:8) Thus Satan’s influence may be seen when friends, relatives, or others oppose your efforts to study the Bible and apply what you learn. (John 15:19, 20) On the other hand, Satan “keeps transforming himself into an angel of light.” (2 Corinthians 11:14) The Devil can use subtle means to mislead you and lure you away from a godly way of life. He can also use discouragement, perhaps causing you to feel that you are not good enough to please God. (Proverbs 24:10) Whether Satan is acting like “a roaring lion” or posing as “an angel of light,” his challenge remains the same: He says that when you are faced with trials or temptations, you will stop serving God.

Source(s): The Bible; jw.org; *** bh chap. 12 pp. 116-121 pars. 6-16 Living in a Way That Pleases God ***

to show satan how cool he is.