Recommend novels or factual books about northern/eastern European history during the 20th century?

I really enjoyed reading "Under the North Star" about modern Finnish history, and I loved "The Long Walk" and "As far as my feet will carry me," about people escaping from gulags. Please recommend some books for me, either novels or historical fact books (but good, interesting ones) about northern & eastern European countries' history during the twentieth century. I'm especially interested in the nordic countries.

Please DON'T recommend books about the holocaust or anything jewish during that time, there are so many books like that that I am totally bored of them. I'd especially like recommendations of more Finnish history novels and more about people escaping from gulags, and similar things like that. Also interested in countries like Sweden, Norway, Romania, Hungary.

• ALAN
    Favorite Answer

Many of the novels of Nevil Shute give an excellent picture of life in Britain (and Australia) during rhe post-First World War to 1960s period - I've lived through most of that, and I "recognized" many of the characters and situations.

• shella

Quo Vadis by utilizing Henryk Sienkiewicz This e book is a classic and stunning! It tells the tale of a Roman officer, Vinicius, who falls in love with a Christian woman, Lygia. that's in the course of the tine of Nero, at the same time as the early Christians are not established. At one factor interior the tale Nero makes a decision to burn Rome, and he blames it on the Christians. that's an epic love tale between 2 those that does no longer many times fall in love. i'm rereading it in the present day, because after I examine it the first time I skipped the great words. yet, that's stunning. in the adventure that your going to demonstrate screen the action picture, do not watch the 1951 version. Watch the polish version with subtitles. interior the polish version, the characters look a lot more suitable, and it would not pass as a lot scenes.