I'm writing a novel, what is the average amount of words, pages and chapters that I should be aiming for.?

Right now I have around 3,500-5,000 words per chapter. I've been told that most books have an average of 250 words per page so and so far I've racked up 20,000 words and am aiming for 75,000 to 100,000 words. Any details on how many words, chapters, words per chapter and pages I should have minimum and why.

4 Answers

Relevance
  • Best Answer

Hi :)

Alright, so, as some other people have already said, most (is it YA?) books are between 60k (250 pages, paperback) to 100k (around 3 hundred to four hundred pages, paperback). But there are exceptions, like Twilight (120k or 400 some odd pages) and some others. So really, I would shoot somewhere in there.

As for chapters, what I do is take my total word count goal, and divide it by how many chapters I want. I tend to aim towards odd numbers, so say I'm thinking 23 chapters out of 86 thousand words. You can always fudge that though, which I do, frequently. If it gets published, they may want to even out the chapters, but for now I don't think it matters.

I believe you should just write, and enjoy it, and don't stress about the perfect amount of words in a chapter. It doesn't really matter, but it's best to *try* to keep them close to the same size. (I normally shoot for 4500 per chapter, but then mostly they're 5k, and some are 6k, so I don't think it's important. :)

Anywho, hope I helped! =)

Source(s): Myself. =)
  • 4 years ago

First off, thanks for answering my previous question really helped a lot! Now then, a chapter would be at least 5-10 pages depending on the font size. If the pages font is lets say 12-14, it would be better to make it between 5 to 8 pages so it wont look boring, size 14-16 should be more than 8-10 pages if possible. Books like maximum ride is lengthy with normal font size 12 which takes about 2-4 pages a chapter. It mostly depends on the author since a chapter divides the story by its happenings.

• 8 years ago

Most publishers ESPECIALLY for first time novels, are not going to be looking for a huge number of words. First time novels are generally accepted between 80,000 and 120,000 words. That generally racks up to an average sized 300-400 page book.

Of course, this is different for every publisher, and will change to pretty much whatever length you want after your first book is on the shelf and selling at a decent rate.

Hope this helped!

• 8 years ago

Have you seen the difference between a Nicolas Sparks novel and the Harry Potter books? It is really up to the author and their individual story... don't try to condense it, don't try to stretch it... let the story tell itself so to speak :)

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.