Amaryllis asked in HealthMental Health · 9 years ago

How can I push myself to get out more (agoraphobia anxiety panic attacks)?

I suffer agoraphobia anxiety panic attacks and depression among some learning disabilities.

I have very few friends and thy are online friends. I do not get out I am afraid I don't even like the 5 min walk to the store. I have not been outside for more then 5 mins for maybe a month or more. Even then iI don't go past the step. I am afraid to go around the side of the house

How can I push myself, Dose anyone understand how hard this is?!

Favorite Answer

Some famous people who have suffered from agoraphobia include Woody Allen (director), Paula Dean (celebrity chef), and Elfriede Jelinek (Nobel literature laureate).

Agoraphobia is often misunderstood as a fear of open or crowded places. It can sometimes coexist with these phobias, but agoraphobia is the fear of being too far away from a “safe” area. Agoraphobics often welcome visitors to their home, since they’re in better control of the situation, but simply don’t like leaving their own home.

Agoraphobic people suffer panic attacks if they feel unsafe; this can include feeling trapped or finding oneself too far away from a comfort zone.

Like all phobias, agoraphobia doesn’t discriminate. Age, religion, ethnicity and socioeconomic background don’t affect who could be afflicted with agoraphobia. The one notable exception to this rule is that women are about twice as likely to suffer from agoraphobia.

This anxiety disorder generally develops from a mild fear to a serious condition that affects daily life.

Treatments for agoraphobia include gradual exposure and desensitization to the situations that worry the sufferer, medication, therapy, and other treatments such as hypnosis. There is much more at http://www.newsonhealthcare.com/anxiety-disorders-...

Source(s): www.newsonhealthcare.com

You can push yourself best with the help of a therapist that is trained in CBT (cognitive behavioral therapy). CBT therapy is the most effective therapy for panic attacks and it is difficult to learn it on your own. There are many books about this to read and one of the best is called the Anxiety and Phobia Workbook by Bourne.

The real trick to understand panic is that you must do something EVERY day, even if you don't want to, otherwise you get into a rut and go backwards. It is like exercise. You have to do a little bit every day to see results in the long term. You can't set out to run a marathon all in one day. That will never work. So take each day and try to do a tiny bit more than you did the day before. If you can only stay out 5 mins, then do that EVERY single day until you feel like doing 6 mins. Then do 6 mins EVERY SINGLE DAY...don't go back to 5 mins. It will not be easy, but if you do things in small steps, you will find that it will get easier after a month, then 6 months. Don't ever worry about how fast you get better or how much you go, just GO OUT. Every single day.

Hope this helps!

Are you currently seeing a psychologist or psychiatrist about this? That's a good first step. The experiences you're describing are highly treatable by trained professionals. There are medications that will help take the edge off of your depression and your anxiety and will make it easier for you to start taking steps to overcome some of this agoraphobia. Cognitive Behavioral therapy has very good results with this. It can help you to examine your attitudes and feelings, and help you to slowly work up to the point where you're no longer stuck.

You can try to do this on your own but it will be harder. Start by making a list of things that make you uncomfortable- starting with things that you can do that make you a little uncomfortable, all the way up to things that you can't imagine ever doing. Then start small and work your way up. When you feel discomfort and anxiety, that's ok. Just stay there and experience the discomfort. You'll discover that it does go away. It's the avoidance of the discomfort and anxiety that keeps us trapped in cycles of phobic behavior. But once you experience the works feelings, and discover that you can withstand them, and that they do subside, then you will no longer be trapped by them.

Good luck!!!

Yes, I found that the cheesiest lamest thing I swore I would never do actually helped me better than medication, therapy, everything, and lame as it is try relaxation tapes or CD's. I only listened to the tape a few times but do it every time I feel stressed now and my anxiety attacks have almost dissapeared, so it may help you. Get the ones that tell you to go down stairs and through a door and all that while controlling your breathing.

Eliminate Social Anxiety Shyness : http://socialanxiety.uzaev.com/?mqZq

. Once you do it you will find out that it's no that bad. Your not scared of going outside your scared of being scared. So get up off your butt and do it. I promise it's not that bad. Go live life and enjoy it. Then you will look back and see that you were just freaking yourself out