Kalla
Lv 6

How many chemo treatments does a child with leukemia receieve?

Like 10?

I'm writing a book and I'm in the research phase

3 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

It depends on the type of Leukaemia, Acute's (fast progression of disease) are more common in children such as:

AML-(Acute Myeloid Leukaemia)

ALL-(Acute Lymphoblastic Leukaemia)

APL-(Acute Promyelocytic Leukaemia)

Chronic's (slow progression of disease) are more common in adults & rare in children such as:

CML-(Chronic Myeloid Leukaemia)

CLL-(Chronic Lymphocyctic Leukaemia)

There are different treatment protocols & duration of protocols with AML & ALL, but in short:

AML= 5 cycles, duration 6-8 mths, pending on prognosis/tolerance/complications, many require follow up Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation (HSCT), which can be either an: Allo=own stem cells or Auto=donor stem cells.

ALL=3 phases, 1/ Induction, 2/ Consolidation/Intensification, both are intensive phases, duration 8-10 mths, 3/ Maintenance Therapy, monthly IV/daily Oral treatment, 10 cycles, duration 2 years for standard risk girls, 15 cycles, duration 3 years for all boys & high risk girls. Relapse requires further treatment with possible transplantation.

Boys have a lower remission rate than girls hence the longer treatment protocol for all boys no matter if they fall into standard or high risk category of relapse. Check out the links provided for more in depth information.

• 9 years ago

Depends upon the results of blood tests. If the immunity is low, then the treatment is cancelled. The next week, the blood test is repeated. Not all chemotherapy causes hair loss. Depends upon the drugs used. A permanently inserted IV line in the chest must be used for chronic therapy. It's called a port-a-cath or PAC.

• 4 years ago

i'm a lymphoma affected person and that i've got had 4 rounds of chemo and that i'm getting ill normally approximately 7 days after therapy I quite have flu like indications . devoid of fever and that i think of chemo consequences everone diverse and It would not propose that its no longer working in case you don"t get ill . Be happy that she is doing properly. Be a shoulder and a assisting hand which will help her extra beneficial than something.The Rituxin made me have a reaction too yet merely one time and that i'm nonetheless getting it each 3 weeks . With chemo the blood counts are what means extra beneficial than something and your mom could desire to have a maximum cancers e book called the blue e book it will make it easier to to study it to video show for area consequences that could desire to be appeared into and you gets on line and look up Leukemia and chem area consequences and it will make it easier to . I pray that your mom maintains to correctly on chemo thats what you prefer . good success with all you will beat Goliath God bless you

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.