How to convince my parents to let me drink..?

I'm 18 and a resident of Puerto Rico, therefore I can legally drink now. However, my dad (who currently lives out of state) disapproves. He went berserk when he called and I told him I was at a bar the night before. I told him because I thought he would be cool with it, you know? I'm really confused because I've had drinks in front of him as a minor and he never said anything. Now that I'm legal though, I feel as though my parents are trying to tie me down. My mom is simply "okay" with me drinking; however, I know she supports my dad's wishes. It's not as though I get messed-up drunk or anything, I just have 2 or 3 drinks, a good laugh with a couple of my friends and that's it. Why can't they understand that? My parents know that I am way more responsible than others my age, yet they still want to hold me down. I'm an A student who recently got accepted into UPRM (considered the best university in Puerto Rico and Latin America) to study Civil Engineering. My parents drink too, if anyone was wondering. I just don't get it. My dad asked me, "Why do you have to drink?" I don't have to drink, it's my decision to do so, but I will always drink responsibly. They both know I'm a responsible kid, but once I show signs of being an adult they go nuts. Right now my dad is pissed and told me to not call him unless I had a legit explanation for my "actions". Even though my dad isn't here, I don't want to have a bad relationship with him. So.. any tips?

It might seem unfair, but your parents are just looking out for you. I think your parents had no problem with you drinking in front of them because they were there and able to make sure you didn't over drink.

I think that by you going out on your own and drinking they are afraid that you may do something mindless, as a lot of young people are afraid to do. Your dad may also be afraid since he is out of state and may not be able to be there for you if something were to happen.

Honestly, I think you have to earn your parents trust even though they may know you are responsible they are afraid to take the risk which is normal or parents especially when their children are stepping into the world. Honestly, though why do you have to drink? There are other ways to have fun with your friends.

I don't know... It's entirely your decision, however I do agree with your parents. You're a good student, and I guess, based on your explanation, responsible. If you continue to drink, it might become a habit. Maybe if you're down, or upset, you might come drinking a lot. You'll never know, if it becomes a habit. Why not find something else to do? Like I said before, it's entirely your decision to drink, but please respect your parent's opinion as well.