Im using the John Thompson's Modern Course for the Piano: First Grade. Im learning a new hand position, help!?

So Im in first grade in piano. Im 14 now. Im learning the Key of G Major hand position. :( My thumb is used to the note C or G. Its not used to D. Its the same with other fingers so I play small pieces in the book horribly. :( Help please. How can I unlearn that fingers can have different keys? I hope you know what I mean. :(

Additional question! :D

I play the violin too. If you know anything about it. At what Suzuki Book number should I be if I wanna play Eine Kleine Nachtmusik(not sure if I spelled it right) ? Thanks!

Well, for the violin part. I do know how to read music. We also use the SUzuki book. Im just using that I want to know at what level. :) So here, Im gonna change the question, for how many years will it take me play Eine Kleine Nachtmusik? That's why I used what Suzuki book, because every individual is different.

For this part: How can I unlearn that fingers can have different keys? Haha! LOL. Sorry. New one, how can I make my fingers learn that they can play different keys?

Well, its funny, cause I can play some pieces that requires the hand to move in different places. But I cant play those in the book. I think I play the notes by recognizing the notes' pattern of going up or down. I wanna make my fingers learn that too when playing simple pieces. I hate the book cause it has finger numbers, make me read the number not the note. Its complicated. I hope you understand. :)

Favorite Answer

"How can I unlearn that fingers can have different keys? " You can't, because fingers DO have different positions. Unless you work at having your fingers in different locations, you'll never get used to playing in anything but the simplest keys with the simplest tunes.

... just wait till you get to try your hand (pun intended) on stride piano.

I've been working with the course for about a week now, and it's incredible. Just the practice aids and the different scales and memory techniques in Book 9 are worth the price of the course, alone! There are two things that make this course stand out. First, all the video and audio files are embedded in the lesson. I have yet to find another piano course that makes it this easy. It's so nice not to have three files going at the same time!

The second thing is that you actually get to play in each lesson! And the songs are not "Mary had a Little Lamb" types! From the Beatles to Bethoven, it's all there. I have several piano courses that I have ordered over the internet. This is the one I use because it makes learning fun! I'm amazed! Once you get the rhythms down, you really can sound like a pro! Great fun! Thanks for making this available at such a reasonable price. Anyone who doesn't grab this up is going to go the long way home! Joy!

Now ANYONE Can Learn Piano or Keyboard?

It depends. I'm left-handed and I've been playing for four years, and I can play really complicated stuff (Beethoven, Chopin, Joplin, Bach, Mozart, etc.), but I usually play rock and pop stuff. When I first started, I didn't think about the fact that I was a lefty, and learned many songs, scales, and chords. Your left hand will usually play the chords/bass, while your right hand will play the melody. Just practice enough and build the muscles in your hands to play both. Get into the habit of holding the notes and pronouncing them clearly (without the pedal). You'll also want to play the melody louder than the chords/bass, obviously, and this requires a lot of technique. It just takes a lot of practice and dedication.