2.92 GPA is there hope for me?

I started college on a bad note this year. Coming out of high school was a great student who's GPA that hovered near a 4.0. For some reason I didn't transition well into college. I am an accounting major at the University of Illinois UC and have 31 credit hours at this semester with the 2.92. I'm taking classes this summer. Around 6-10 hours depending on the classes. I'm basically freaking out, because this isn't what I expect out of myself, and I feel as though career in business is already down the tube before it even started. Any tips? Also I wanted to interview for a leadership program at pricewaterhousecoopers that they do second semester sophomore year. With my summer classes and say another 17 hours next semester could I have a 3.4 to interview for the position?

• Mary
    Favorite Answer

Why was your GPA so low your first year? I'm just curious, because I was an Accounting major at UIUC, and I thought that my first two years of college were the easiest (gen eds and Accounting prerequisites are easier than advanced Accounting courses).

If you want to land a job at a Big Four firm, you need to turn things around soon. Otherwise, you'll likely only be presented with opportunities at smaller CPA firms.

• monkey

Your life is not over. I think it may be impossible to get a 3.4 GPA in that time but if you get a 4.0 in those 17 hours you will be close. Your first job GPA may matter a little. Some places want people with a 3.5 or so GPA. You can find a job with any GPA if you graduate. After a few years of experience your GPA doesn't matter much anymore.

• Prof

Despite some of the advice above, grades matter and if you want a career in accounting you have to buckle down and improve your GPA. There is no doubt that you can do it; it will just take some discipline on your part.

GPA doesn't matter much in America (unless you're failing). Most people like to see what you do outside of class and how interested you are to actually work for them, as well as how capable you really are. Real life experience will almost always trump education.

Just wait, when you get into the workplace some black idiot with an affirmative action 0.9 GPA will be your boss.

C's get degrees. Its not the grades you make, it's the hands you shake.