Can theists blame us atheists for being annoyed?

I've never believed in any religion. I wouldn't call myself a fundamental atheist as that has all kinds of negative connotations, but I've always felt strongly about my (lack of) belief.

There have been endless wars, conflicts and disputes about different religion. To an atheist, we look on like a child looks on at their parents arguing. I'm not saying atheists are naive; in fact, in most cases the child is right. The parents aren't arguing for happiness or a better future, they argue with such ferocity simply because they think they're right and the other person isn't.

Don't get me wrong, this isn't an inflammatory post. I love the IDEA of religion; of what things like Buddhism adheres to or the selflessness of Christianity. My real issue is the divide it can cause.

To be honest, what sparked this thought process was the following picture. It shows Christians protecting Muslims in Egypt while they pray:

http://photoblog.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/02/03/59...

If religion was like this I wouldn't have a problem with it at all, and I doubt other atheists would. But like the child cowering in the corner, you don't seem to see that what is more important is that we just get along; we are all the same, we have enough conflicts in our lives without adding new ones.

It may not seem like it, but this is a question and I do want to hear your point of view.

dload: I appreciate the work Christians have done, but we have done a lot too. Numerous donations to worldwide disastors, not for any selfish purpose (i.e. a passport to heaven) but just because we feel is right. Don't forget, for all the work Bill Gates has done, he is an atheist. I think this is another issue though, not the point of my original post.

eireblood: Don't patronise me, my annoyance is based on countless wars and deaths, I don't know why you think that based on that I am easily annoyed.

Thanks for opinions all, keep the coming.

Best Answer

To be frank, I'm far more annoyed by the fact that in America Christians are forcing their beliefs into our laws, schools, and government with total disregard for the Constitution or the fact that many people do not share those beliefs.

I don't care WHAT people believe if they keep it to themselves.

@Jesus#1-

Except those guys killed for totalitarian communism, not atheism- it was to maintain a power structure, not religion.

And Pol Pot wasn't actually an atheist- he was a Theravada Buddhist. Stalin never declared a personal religious affiliation or lack thereof- and he was raised to be a priest in the Russian Orthodox Church. History, dear- learn it.

@eireblood-

Communism isn't an "atheistic ideal". Communism is an economic system, and has nothing to do with religion. If you actually knew what you were talking about, you'd know that there have been plenty of THEISTIC communists.

History is your friend only if you learn it first.

• Dload

It looks like there's a lot of blood on religion, however..

A lot of so-called religious wars are not about religion at it. It's about politics, power, control, etc. You see people must justify their actions, therefore they use religion (or something else) as a scapegoat. Really it's 99% of the time against the religion and they twist religion to suit their needs. If religion wasn't there, they would just justify their actions another way.

True Christians are passive, just like Jesus was. They don't judge others, instead they help and support people. We feed the homeless, provide homes, care for woman and children, etc. Yet ask for nothing in return. Christians cover 85% of the entire world charities putting in their own time and efforts for free. We have to name a few: World Vision, Tear-fund, Youth Off The Streets, Rainbow Youth (gay support), World Famine, Children's Hunger Fund, Christian Aid, Christian African Relief Trust, Christians Against Poverty, Habitat for Humanity, CURE International, Christian Foundation for Children and Aging (CFCA), etc, and the list goes on and on.

Source(s): Fellow Christian

It is rarely the Atheists who are a dividing factor. Christians are divided into so many different brands and each brand says that the other won't get to go to heaven. They tell us that we are destined to burn for eternity. We simply point out the error of their ways and their "thoughts". If Christianity/Islam would keep their silly and dangerous religious beliefs among themselves and not try and force them upon those of us who are of normal intelligence there would only be wars between them. No great loss.

Taoist/Atheist (realist)

They can blame but it isn't founded. I personally believe in God and religion. I do not find that I can blame atheists for anything. The same can be said about me. You can blame religious people for all the wars about religion going on so there are always people to blame it depends on whether the blame is founded and whether it is deserved.

Source(s): My perspective

Religion is not the cause of conflicts, many teach wonderful things. It's just the people who manipulate verses and take verses out of context or are just violent themselves.

Just because of the minority of bad people adhering to a particular religion are bad doesn't mean all the people in that religion are bad (or that the religion is bad).

Most of the so called religious conflicts are not even religion based, more political or just used as an excuse.

Source(s): By the way that is really sweet picture.

Theist are either brainwashed, gullible or both. They blame satan for bad things and or say god works in mysterious ways when bad things happen. That is not a good guide for living a productive life getting along with fellow human beings.

Theists can blame atheists for anything they want. They can blame atheists for 9-11 or even the eruption of Mt. St. Helens in 1980.Just because they blame, does not make their blame valid.

You have a synoptic view that disregards the many lives lost due to atheistic ideals such as communism.

Who cares if you don't believe.

I actually find that the majority of atheists are already angry, and if they were put into an empty room could still cause a fight.

Thanks again for informing us that you are so easily annoyed, cupcake.)

• Rick L

I like to bring up that very same article when I talk about religious people doing something right.

Sadly, it usually isn't like that, but it is an excellent example of the 'good side'.

violence is violence I say it's just as annoying when you see atheist like Mao, Stalin, or Pol Pot killing millions for having religion. I think we all should just agree that killing or even hurting anyone is bad and then let our believes come second.