Ben
Ben asked in Science & MathematicsEngineering · 8 years ago

Why is the automotive/transport industry going downhill?

I have always wanted to be an automotive/transport engineer, but from reading online and researching I feel as though this dream job is a bad idea, everyone say its going down hill but I don't understand why?

I have researched bio-fuels and hybrid vehicles and found that they have not reached there maximum potential, people say bio-fuels is the best alternative to gasoline, doesn't this mean manufacturers and engineers should be working on bio-fuel engines and making them more efficient?

It has always been my dream to work in such a field of engineering and apart from that I also have spent 2 years working on vehicles (college course) and spent 2 years doing a mechatronics course, the local university is offering a Mechanical & Low Carbon Transport degree course which I am really interested in, the only thing stopping me from going for this is everyone saying that this field is bad, I dont want to go into mechanical engineering since it is such a broad field and would rather do something that I know I would really enjoy.

Favorite Answer

The single biggest factor in driving the transportation industry down is the fact that much of the direction and control of the design process is being set by politicians who have no appreciation for the design process, the economics that should drive the process or the consequences of demanding engineers to produce impractical vehicles for our use.

There is the same problem with the choices of fuels. Bio fuels can not begin to meet the demand needed to replace or even begin to replace petroleum. The same can be said for electric or hybrid cars. If all cars were electric there would be little or not electrical generating capacity left to run our homes, school, offices or factories.

• Alex

The problem with bio-fuels isn't the engines, it's on the production side. Devoting more farmland for fuel crops means devoting less farmland for food crops. Algae-based fuel is a little more promising since it doesn't require as much space, but it's still too expensive.

The domestic auto industry was hit hard by the recession and then the Japanese industry was hit by the earthquake and tsunami. The biggest markets for cars now are China and India, where companies have to compete with domestic companies that often have lower production costs and government support (especially in China).

You can get an automotive engineering job with a degree in mechanical engineering. A broader degree is not necessarily a bad thing. Being able to go into a wider variety of industries is good, it means your job market is less susceptible to short-term downturns.

• Artur

This a very complex subject. My opinion is that engineers are not more on the key positions. Beam counters, HR people, MBA's and all this sort of NON PRODUCING people are in industry key positions. The result is the overrun in costs, delays, technical problems and so on. Read the article I give as source. You will see, and understand why things are going backwards instead of forward.

you're difficult,and yahoo do have spell verify........b.t.w. potato chips will consistently be around.........p/s I even have 2 Small bags now bar. and bitter cream...MmMmm good!!!