So let me get this "straight" (pun intended)- if I go by scripture, I am, by definition, a homophobe?

I asked a question that pertained to this issue earlier today. A great deal of people responded with rationality and logic. But several people acted on their visceral emotions, and just automatically cast me into the homophobic light. All I said was that in reference to gay marriage, I go by what the scripture... show more I asked a question that pertained to this issue earlier today. A great deal of people responded with rationality and logic. But several people acted on their visceral emotions, and just automatically cast me into the homophobic light. All I said was that in reference to gay marriage, I go by what the scripture says.

There were many assumptions made about me simply because I made the above statement. I would like to clarify a few things. First of all, I love gay people in a Platonic way. I do not feel superior to them in any way, form, or fashion. No, I do not support gay marriage, but I do not view gays as "different" from myself. I do not dislike gays at all. I certainly do not hate gays. In point of fact, I support some civil rights for gays. For instance, I think that society should protect gays from discrimination and hate crimes. In regards to marriage- be with whomever you wish, just don't call it marriage. I am not against love. I am not trying to oppress anyone. I am not trying to curtail anyone's freedom. Simply opposing gay marriage does not, a bigot, make.

So why do so many people point the finger at me and claim that I am a bigot, a hatemonger, an oppressor, and a homophobe? This puzzles me. Can you please help me to understand the logic behind that prejudiced line of thought?