senior citizens: In really hot weather, what do you do to cool off or cool down?

I've never been able to handle extremes in weather. And especially in summer. WIthout a pool

it is a must to have A/C, or I get light headed and often dizzy. I've lived where it got

up to 115 and nights averaged 85. I was overly miserable. I would stand in a cold shower

in the bathtub to cool off. Or soak in a cold tub of water. What do others do, in hot weather to

get cool again, or stay cool?

15 Answers

Relevance
  • gale
    Lv 6
    8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Lynn, I do not do well in the heat either and like you, I can get dizzy fast from the heat! I live in Texas and there's plenty of heat here!

I simply have to limit my outside times to keep from getting into trouble. I also drink plenty of cold fluids, iced tea without sugar is my choice. I use my ceiling fans to keep the air circulating so I do not have to run the air conditioner on 60 just to be comfortable! I usually keep the air conditioner lower at night and this gets my home really cool. Then, on with the fans after the sun is up so I can retain the flow of the cool air. Of course, I do not have little ones going in and out the door either which keeps the air colder.

In the upper nineties and triple digits, I leave the curtains closed on the sunny side so the sun cannot warm the rooms through the windows. I limit the baking indoors too as the oven will heat up my kitchen in a hurry!

If I do reach a point to where I am overheated, I have to sit quickly in a cool environment as I have to overcome the dizziness. I try to get cold fluids into my system as fast as possible. Then, it is off to the bath for a cool soak.

Source(s): Trying to deal with temperatures which bring on ill side effects.
    • Login to reply the answers
  • 8 years ago

I have a really nice floor fan that sits next to me, and we use it in our living room, and can keep the a/c set higher so as to not use a lot of electricity. We have a pool, but there are times when even the pool is not cooling. Something that really cools me down is ice cream, and drink a lot of cold water. If you put a cool towel around your neck that will also keep you cooler. Those are some high temps you mention, so it is imperative that people get under a/c or fans, though fans at those temps usually stir the hot air. Dress lightly too.

• Kai
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

Luckily, I live somewhere where it seldom gets really hot--and when it does it's only for a few days. We have two large box fans that we set at each end of the apartment, one sucks in the shady air, one blows out the window the hot interior air (we switch them around as the sun moves across the sky). We also have smaller tabletop fans we can aim directly at someone sitting and I usually have one going in the bedroom since the bedrooms gets really hot. I get up early in the morning and open the windows to let in the cool dawn air, then pull the shades/curtains so the sun can't heat up the inside. If I get really hot myself, I run cool (not cold) water over my feet, wrists, inner elbows and neck, sometimes I run cool water over my head and I usually can cool down that way--a warm-cool shower also works for a while but we often are in drought conditions so I don't want to use too much water. I strip down as much as possible (just wear a woven cotton long shirt to cover my risky parts). We always keep water cooling in the frig and I drink a lot of it, sometimes I'll do iced coffee (since I don't particularly like tea). I try not to do too much and if I need to go somewhere, I stick to the shady sides of the street and try to do my outdoor chores either really early in the morning (before the sun gets going) or after the sun sets if it's cooled off enough. I even put ice in our pets' water bucket so they can have cool water (and I change it more frequently). I've also been known to wear my Ray-bans indoors since seeing the world in that dark green/grey shade seems to help me convince my mind it isn't as blaring hot as it really is. I eat things that don't need to be cooked--eat a lot of salads since I usually don't want anything heavy. Sleeping is usually hard since the mattress always seems too hot and I lie there wishing I had a hammock. I don't know why but the cats always want to snuggle their hot furry bodies right up against me (ugh) and I hate yelling at them to get away from me but, hey, I'm hot. I also wish I had a transom over my doors so I could open them and let any cross-breeze waft through without the cats getting (but transoms must have been deemed a fire hazard or something). Oh, and I have been known to go to supermarkets and spend literally hours shopping and not buying much just so I can be in their A/C. Same with movies. And anywhere else I can find that has A/C since I don't have it at home (nor do I want it at home).

• Jodi D
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

I stay in where it's air conditioned, take frequent cool showers, drink cold drinks, and eat light meals. At night, I use a fan as well as the AC. Last year, when it was so unbearably hot, our air conditioner went out. The owner of the house was out of town, so we couldn't get a repairman. My husband, who can fix almost anything, was able to locate and fix the problem but it took a couple of days.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • john
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

I've always participated in outdoor activities such as golf and cycling and have built up a tolerance for the heat.But on those days when my body "hits the wall" I start my cool down period by drinking Power-Aide Zero to get an electrolyte solution in my system.Jumping into an air conditioned room causes cramps.

• S
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

Well I also do what you do I also run cool water over my wrists I pour cold water over my head then sit next to the vents so the air hits me. I eat all the cold things I can so I don't have to cook. Fruit, salad, sandwiches. Inputt ice packs on the back of my neck. Yup hell is right here on earth. In the winter I can't take the cold either. Ain't life grand?

• 8 years ago

I spread out in a 18" X 8' kiddie pool in the rear yard or I go to the beach and float round around in ocean.

I'm not real fond of hot weather.

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

Before we had A/C put in the house I would go get in the pool to cool off. Now that we have A/C I still get in the pool, but it has to be in the high 80's before I do.

• Keith
    Lv 6
    8 years ago

It's already getting to me and it hasn't even hit 90 yet. I have to work in it without A/C. I drink a gaziilion gallons of water and when I get home it is straight to the shower with me. I eat a lot of salt so I haven't done the salt pills.

• Diana
    Lv 6
    8 years ago

I've never tolerated the heat well either. I don't know what I'd do without A/C and iced tea. They're my cooler-offers. I make up for my summer energy indulgences in the winter because I keep my thermostat low all winter long.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.