Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 9 years ago

A Christian's view on War, and why you believe that?

I'm currently doing my R.E Essay on Conflict to do with Christianity. Accoring to the New and Old Testament. I just wanted to know what are your views as an individual? You don't have to be a Christian, but if you are, then i would appreciate that too. Also, do you follow the Just War Theory, do you think it's right/wrong?

I want a detailed answer please, don't worry, i will acknowledge all of them! Thanks!

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Jesus said that his followers were to be no part of the world. There are Bible scholars and others who mention in their writings that the early Christians never got involved in worldly conflicts nor in the military, and rather than taking lives they were actually willing to lay their lives down for their brothers and sisters.

Christendom's churches do not promote this separateness from the world; rather they encourage its members to get involved in conflicts and to go to war. You can read of what happened as there is a recorded history during the two World Wars when it came to Christendom's religions. This being neutral to world's affairs is one of the signs of being a true Christian.

Another "identification mark" of true Christians is mentioned at John 13:34, 35. "By this, all will know you are my disciples, by your love for one another." So ones of the true Christian religion can be known by these two things: their being no part of the world and by their love. But this love is different in that it is not just saying a person loves another. When push comes to shove, that person who lives by this commandment of Jesus will be moved to do this in times when it might not be easy to do. A case in point is the holocaust years. There was only ONE Christian group that stood up to Hitler no matter what happened.

There is lots of information on this particular group at the United States Holocaust Museum in Washington DC (down by the Smithsonian area of museums) and other holocaust museums around the world. The individuals in this Christian group were known for wearing a "Purple Triangle" on their prison uniforms in the concentration camps.

Source(s): The Bible.
  • 9 years ago

War is in direct opposition to true Christian worship:

God wants us to have respect for life—both our own and that of others. Back in the days of Adam and Eve, for example, their son Cain became very angry with his younger brother Abel. Jehovah warned Cain that his anger could lead him to serious sin. Cain ignored that warning. He ‘assaulted Abel his brother and killed him.’ (Genesis 4:3-8) Jehovah punished Cain for murdering his brother.—Genesis 4:9-11.

Thousands of years later, Jehovah gave the people of Israel laws to help them to serve him acceptably. Because these laws were given through the prophet Moses, they are sometimes called the Mosaic Law. Part of the Mosaic Law said: “You must not murder.” (Deuteronomy 5:17) This showed the Israelites that God values human life and that people must value the lives of others.

Furthermore, in regards to supporting those in favor of war: True worshipers are no part of the world. When on trial before the Roman ruler Pilate, Jesus said: “My kingdom is no part of this world.” (John 18:36) No matter what country they live in, Jesus’ true followers are subjects of his heavenly Kingdom and thus maintain strict neutrality in the world’s political affairs. They take no part in its conflicts. However, Jehovah’s worshipers do not interfere with what others choose to do about joining a political party, running for office, or voting. And while God’s true worshipers are neutral regarding politics, they are law-abiding. Why? Because God’s Word commands them to “be in subjection” to the governmental “superior authorities.” (Romans 13:1) Where there is a conflict between what God requires and what a political system requires, true worshipers follow the example of the apostles, who said: “We must obey God as ruler rather than men.”—Acts 5:29; Mark 12:17.

Source(s): Official Website of Jehovah's Witnesses: http://www.watchtower.org/
  • zi_xin
    Lv 5
    9 years ago

There is a great quote from the movie First Knight:

"There's a peace only to be found on the other side of war. If that war should come I will fight it! "

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.