how can i put a harness on my dog with out her chewing it?

ok i want to get my dog a harness and she would be wearing it all the time cuz she breakes collars shes very strong shes a pitbull loyal dog but im just worried shes gonna chew it cuz my friend has a hot dog and they got him a harness and about an hour later it was chewed up!and i can i get her not to chew it?

Favorite Answer

You should introduce it to her slowly, you wouldn't like it if you had to suddenly wear this thing around you. Ease it in, let her wear it for a while and take it off. Keep a close eye on her though, if she tries to bite it, scold her, and when you take it off, praise good behaviour. All dogs want is your good attention!

Source(s): Me ;3
  • nosaj

Buy better collars.

These are made for Pit Bulls:

http://www.stillwaterkennelsupply.com/

http://www.obriensk9supply.com/store/index.php

http://www.tablerockharness.com/DogSupplies.htm

Harnesses made with the breed in mind can also be found on each site.

Chewing is stopped by training the dog to not chew.While also providing enough exercise and alternative chew toys so the dog is not destructive.

Source(s): APBT owner
  • HBR

How do you know your dog will chew the harness is you haven't tried one yet? Personally, I wouldn't leave the harness on all the time. I'd keep a collar with ID tags (not the rabies tag you get from the town when you license your dog, or the rabies tag you get from your vet.) Instead, make sure your dog has a tag with your name and address and phone number. How does your dog break her collars? Does she get enough exercise? I'd bet that if she got more exercise she wouldn't be breaking her collars.

My fatty (border colie akita mix) use to chew through all of his harnesses. It was a pain cause i would have him outside tied to a steak to go to the bathroom and to have outside time before we got a fenced yard. I finally got him a more expensive harness that is more comfortable he hasnt been able to chew through it and he seems to feel better in it than the others. The brand is KONG it is a little more expensive but worth it. Even my golden retriever pulls on it while wrestling with my fatty and he cant even rip it. :)

Source(s): Tried many many harnesses in the past 4 years.
  • Torie

If you put it on properly, then she won't be able to get into a postion to chew it off. And I thought hot dogs were for eating? With ketckup and mustard and such? No wonder your friends couldn't put a harness on it properly. They should've eaten it instead. Now if you mean they have a Dachshund... then thats a different story.

Is she a chewer? If not she probably won't chew on the harness. When you first put it on keep an eye on her for a while to see if she chews on it. If she does tell her no. She will learn not to chew on it.

My dog does same thing if it is too loose. Make sure it's completely tittend on her/ him to where it can't get it's mouth around it. If it doesn't titten enough for you, you may need a smaller harness. Hope this works!

Source(s): Pet owner

They sell a bitter spray at the pet store that taste really bad to them but won't hurt them. My dog use to chew wires until I sprayed it with that. It really works! Just wash you hands after you use it, I learned the hard way.

Hey guys. I have had a border terrier who has always chewed his seat belt until I found one that can't be chewed! I have had this one for a few months now and it's been really good:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dog-Seat-Belt-indestructib...

she will not chew it if u put it on properly