My husband is having problems with his health? Longtime type 2 diabetic.?

1. Uncontrolled DM and HTN am BS’s 15-25, pm BS’s 30+. Not taking his insulin properly (or insulin resistant??) Poor diet control. Numbers have been high for too long. Systolic -160-178. Not compliant with his meds. Pills have been found under the couch. Timings of pills not consistent.

2. Depression – always eating, low mood, angers easily. Won’t admit to being down, walks around confused and is forgetful. . Short term memory is not good, talks of the past. C/ O a long term headcold (H/A??) (Dementia??) Would you consider a Geri-psych consult or CT his head?

3. Exercise tolerance – used to be very active but is now not able to walk a few feet without feeling short winded. Will not take his Nitro spray (he really does not understand why he needs it and it was never explained properly to him. Results from his stress test not understood)

4. Sleep habits – unable to sleep well, excessive night sweats, excessive acid reflux – vomits at night (coffee grounds). Numerous naps throughout the day. Feels weak. Was addicted to OTC meds (Nyquil PM and Tylenol) (Withdrawal’s??).

5. Bowel habits – Excessive diarrhea, within a few hours of eating, (plum coloured) complications from DM or something is going on in his colon? If there is no change in his endo/colonoscopy, can we please get a referral to Internal Medicine?

^^ Above is a letter from my daughter to the doctors since it's hard to describe the full story in such short words.

My husband has been a type 2 diabetic for the past 24 years. He used to be a heavy alcoholic but quit drinking about 16 years ago. He coughs and wheezes at night, and makes gurgling noises. We have been asking for a CT scan for such a long time, and finally got one last year but they only looked at his sinuses. He used to be a logger and the nurse practitioner thinks the exposure to the smoke and such is why he has developed COPD. He complains of his side hurting at night and we think he might have a Nyquil addiction as he goes through a bottle a week, and he gets very upset when I don't buy it. He says it helps him sleep at night but I know for a fact he is abusing it. He is quite reluctant to see doctors and is an noncomplying patient as he refuses to some things they ask him to do (I.e, they gave him a machine to test for sleep apnea but he refused and we had to pursuade him to take a home stool test to test for blood). He has high blood pressure that is hard to control, He is either high or low and once in a while he is at a fair level.

Here is a list of medications he is taking:

METFORMIN –500 MG – 2 TABLET TWICE A DAY

METHYLODOPA—250 MG- 2 TABLET TWICE A DAY

ENALAPRIL—20 MG. 1 TABLET TWICE A DAY.

AMLODIPINE- 10 MG, 1 TABLET ONCE A DAY

ATORVASTATIN – 20 MG. 1 TABLET ONCE A DAY

DOMPERIDONE- 10 MG -1 TABLET 3 TIMES A DAY

Or RABEPRAZO 20MG TWICE DAILY

TRAZONDONE- HYDROCHLORIDE -100 MG AS NEEDED

OVER THE COUNTER MEDS.

TAKING FOR HIS HEAD COLD;

TYLENONL-650MG- 2 TABLETS AT BEDTIME

Nyquil; cold & flu

liquid about 354 ml in a week 7 days throughout the night he would drink, when he starts coughing.

FOR HIS SORE ARM

ALKA-SELTZER – ANTIACIDE – 2 TABLETS AFTER MEALS

SO HE WOULD BEAT THE HEART BURN OR ACID REFLEX.

GAVISCON. THROUGH OUT THE NIGHT

BENYLIN /MUCUS&PHLEGM – EXTRA STRENGTH

CHIORASEPTIC SPRAY- SORE THROAT SPRAY THROUGH OUT THE NITE.

If needed.

Needed refills on supplies

No energy, short winded

Favorite Answer

I'm not sure what kind of information help you're asking for here, but I think you can sum it all up with your very first paragraph:

"Uncontrolled DM and HTN am BS’s 15-25, pm BS’s 30+. Not taking his insulin properly (or insulin resistant??) Poor diet control. Numbers have been high for too long. Systolic -160-178. Not compliant with his meds. Pills have been found under the couch. Timings of pills not consistent."

Sadly, if a diabetic refuses to be compliant, there is little anyone else can do. Get a copy of Dr. Bernstein's 'Diabetes Solution'. You can get a lot of control over the diabetes in just 30 days by following his plan of eating only 4-5 oz of protein at a meal and no more than 10-15gm of green vegie type carbs at a meal. Then, here's what I'd do if this was my husband:

1. Clean your pantry and fridge. Get rid of anything he's not allowed to eat. The diet is healthy for anyone, so no problem if everyone in the house eats the same.

2. Put a lock on the fridge and/or cupboards or move them into a room you can lock.

3. Start weaning him off the OTC meds. Cleaning up his diet will take care of the heart burn, acid reflux, etc.

Then just be patient. Cleaning up his diet and controlling his diabetes will help get his other problems under better control. He may not like it, but over time he will gain better health.

By following Dr. Bernstein's plan, I lost 185 pounds in about a year and a half, got my diabetes under control and off all my meds and my sleep apnea went away. Also, no more acid reflux or heart burn.

You have your work cut out for you but this is the only option I see unless you decide to sit back and let him continue to kill himself. :(

2

Source(s): Reverse Any Diabetes Easily : http://DiabetesGoFar.com/?Hbap

1

Source(s): Two Weeks Diabetes Cure : http://DiabetesCure.raiwi.com/?IDnz
  • Nancy

i had the same problem and did not want to use any medicines. i suggest that you stick to a lifestyle that will bring down your blood sugar to an acceptable level that you body can slowly adjust to and be comfortable with. It will require a combination of good diet and good exercise. it will require persistency. if you can do this your ability to perform in bed will increase but do not expect a rapid change. it is a slow process but an effective one. I must admit that there will be times that a pill will come in handy but one thing will be certain, you will not be dependent on it. You must also remember that it always takes two to tango. Your wife must also understand that there will be instances wherein your ability to perform might not be to her expectations - she must never put you down for this. Our feelings have a lot to do with it. More encouragement will definitely hasten the process. it makes one feel good - that he is a man again. Think of what the opposite with do to a man. anothing important thing to consider. your ability to perform or not to perform also has something to do on how your partner will react and respond to it. Your wife is 44 and this is an age where there is a need to have herself hormones checked. I call it fine tuning. One cannot always expect full acceleration from a non so fined tuned car. Right?

• john

I am biased to the sleep problems. If he has a diagnosis of sleep apnea; find a way to get him to use the cpap machine. I did not see that he had an actual sleep study. So, the machine pressure might be too high for him to tolerate. Also, he might not be fitted for a mask size and type that he will tolerate too.

I have seem many ppl get better sleep and then be more able to control other areas of problems. His sleep deprivation is like self-torture. Tell him that the armed services and other nasty ppl will use it to break down a person.

Source(s): sleep tech

3

Source(s): Ultimate Sweating Guide http://StopExcessiveSweating.teres.info/?5vy3