promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

What is the theme of the myth about Athena and Medusa?

This is not for homework.

I've had a kick this year for reading mythology and a huge question popped in my head 'What are the actual themes of the myths I liked'

I've been looking up the myths themes, but I really like this myth and I can't figure out the actual theme for it.

Can somebody please help me out???

This myth is only about ONLY Athena turning Medusa into a Gorgon. PLEASE HELP!!!!!

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Gotta be *jealousy*, specifically Athena's dangerously powerful envy of Medusa's fragile but bedazzling mortal beauty. Athena had been jealous of Medusa's beauty ever since Medusa was a kid, and Medusa had fanned that green flame by bragging about it to the goddess every chance she got. But finally it was Athena's turn when Medusa bore the great misfortune of being raped by her own cousin Poseidon in Athena's temple, which Athena used as an excuse to "punish" Medusa by transforming her into the same monstrous form borne by the latter's two immortal triplet sisters Sthenno and Euryale.

There's further irony in Athena's red-hot (or lime green?) jealousy of the young mortal since Athena was herself supposedly ravishingly beautiful, and this beauty would have lasted forever unchanged while Medusa would eventually grow old and decrepit... and die anyway. So it really is quite a bit ridiculous for Athena to have behaved the way she did towards Medusa at all.

Even in death Medusa's head was used as a weapon on Athena's shield, her hair was a magical deterrent from war, and her blood was used both as lethal poison and as a means of resurrecting the dead, all at Athena's behest. She really did not like this chica. Who knows what she used the poor girl's tusks, golden wings and bronze hands for.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • holcey
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

Medusa And Athena

• 3 years ago

Athena And Medusa

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

Medusa was once a human girl who lived at Athena's temple in Athens. She was very beautiful and many men came to her, seeking her company. She said no to all of them because she was one of Athena's Priestesses, and Athena was part one of three Virgin Goddesses.

The one man who would not take no for an answer was Poseidon, who raped Medusa in Athena's temple. Athena was outraged that her uncle would do such a thing, and in return, punished MEDUSA for something that wasn't even(directly) her fault. So she turned Medusa into a creature everyone would hate...the third and only mortal Gorgon.

Point is: Athena didn't like having her priestess break her rules, and since she couldn't punish the Sea God, she punished Medusa instead. She had to prove a point and Medusa was the only one she could make a point of.

Athena never got jealous. You can not be a goddess with a hot head.

Source(s): There was a show on the History Channel and also personal perspective.
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 8 years ago

Sacrilege is frowned upon by the Gods!! Medusa takes a lover (Poseidon) inside Athena's own temple. Pretty Ballsy ....

Don't mess with Athena. Remember her feud with arachne? Women (and men) who cross Athena get messed up

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

The theme is disobedience can lead to destruction . According to the story she may have not agreed to disobey Athena but she did so at then end of the day she had to pay the cost of punishment 👌🏻

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.