What do Muslims think of women performers like Lady Gaga and Madonna?

Favorite Answer

Yesterday, Indonesia announced it was banning a planned concert by Lady GaGa. Most Islamic dominated nations ban acts like Madonna and Lady GaGa.

We mainly hear the views of Middle Eastern Muslims, who are a minority. There are more Muslims in India than in the entire Middle East, and more Muslims in Indonesia than in India. My Iranian friend who lives in the states says, despite the law, most Iranian Muslims have a drink of wine on occasion; haram/halal are different interpretations in different parts of the world. Therefore, like the Sufi Dervishes, dancing is part of that Islamic sect. The renowned 14th century Sufi poet Hafez often mentioned the goodness of wine in his poems, both for celebration and for sadness.

I have no doubt the pop-influenced culture of Jakarta would love to have a Lady Gaga concert. Their leaders caved in to clerics.

• mintyf

Meh, whats to compare. I can't compare Madonna or lady gaga to Led zepllin. I'm sure some other muslim may love them. Its a matter of taste.

• Diil

Women?

I'm not muslim. I don't like lady gaga or madonna either!

You should probably ask some Muslims.

If there was one answer across all Muslims in the world I'd be very surprised.

• David

Muslim countries have banned them from performing concerts and most fundamentalist Muslims want them put to death.

Source(s): Studied Islam extensively

I'm not sure, but I think it was really the Muslims that got John Denver......

You ask this like Islam has a unified stance on pop stars.

We don't tend to think of such women.

I disagree with the way they live their lives, but hey... it's their life.

dunno about moderate muslims... i think it depends to the person as for fundie muslims..."stoning target"