Good gift ideas for coworkers?

I am leaving my job in a couple of weeks and wanted to give little parting gifts to my co-workers. There are about 20 of them (male and female, ranging from 25 to 60 years old), so it can't be anything expensive. I'd like to make something personalized, practical and re-usable.

I thought about making a personalized mug for each of them, but that would cost too much since I'd have to make 20. I also thought of making keychains (ex: a little voodoo doll keychain) but don't really know how to go about it. I also thought about cupcakes or cookies, but that's not re-usable. Anyone have better ideas?

Thanks!

Favorite Answer

Food always goes over well, and a batch of cookies or a variety of mini muffins will go a long way. Here is an easy recipe for a nice sweet treat you can put in small ziploc bags for your co-workers http://www.quick-german-recipes.com/skor-bar-cooki...

Women appreciate handmade items, but I'm not sure that men always do. Some craft stores sell small crafts in packages of 20 or 30, usually around Christmas time but it would be worthwhile to check it out.

Since you mentioned mugs, I will assume that most people in your workplace drink coffee, tea or some sort of beverage. So I would suggest a coffee cup sleeve (or cozy). Knitted, crocheted or sewn from a piece of felt, they are easy and quick to make up.

This pattern http://onbeingaknitwit.blogspot.ca/2011/04/leaning... is nice because it is slightly stretchy.

If you have a green thumb and a particularly hardy plant that can be propagated from a cutting, you could get a bunch of biodegradable pots from the hardware or home improvement store (maybe even the dollar store) or make your own from newspaper, and give everyone a cutting from your favourite plant.

Another suggestion is to make a bookmark from a photograph. We did this before graduating from high school. My group consisted of four girls and, using my camera with a timer, we posed peeking into the room from a partially open door. From tallest to shortest, we all stuck just our heads into the room through the doorway. When I got the pictures printed, I trimmed off the excess, added a tassel at the top and handed them to my friends to use for bookmarks.

That was almost 30 years ago. With today's digital cameras and computer software, you can create any kind of photo gift. Like a picture of you with a personal message, a picture of just everyone's heads (the "department heads"), a calendar, an ornament, etc.

Good luck

Do you knit? If so, I recommend my coffee cup cozy. It fits over paper coffee cups (Tim Horton's, Starbuck's, etc) and only takes about 20-30 minutes per cozy. For a hand-knit item, that's not bad at all.

I recommend Red Heart Super Saver yarn for this. It's knit with two strands held together. It's not only cheap, but it goes through the washer and dryer on medium or cool and comes out looking new. It comes in a ton of colors, too. This pattern doesn't use much yarn. How much yarn can you use on a project that is only 24 stitches wide and 18 rows long and only takes 20 minutes?

Using 6mm needles and two strands held together of weight group 4 (a.k.a. worsted weight, medium, 4-ply) yarn, cast on 24 stitches.

rows 1-5: garter stitch -- knit all stitches on all rows

rows 6-13: k1p1 ribbing (count before starting ribbing to make sure you still have exactly 24 stitches)

row 14: k11, k2tog, knit to end of row

row 15: k6, k2tog, k6, k2tog, knit to end of row

row 16: k9, k2tog, knit to end of row

cast off

Sew side seam, weave in ends. Done!

Come to think of it, if you don't knit, you could even get some Polar Fleece fabric and sew up coffee cup cozies instead. Get a cardboard cup sleeve to trace, and you're in. You'r probably want to use a double layer of fleece.

I would look on-line or at the store for something small. Look for party favors they are less expensive and some of them are nice and inexpensive, and a lot of cool ideas. Other ideas would be making your own candy with Wilton molds, Dipping pretzels, giving them a plant, etc.