Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 8 years ago

Buying a puppy from a breeder who breeds more then one type of dog?

I was always told to buy a puppy from a breeder who focused on just one breed. This lady breeds two types of dogs. But i found her off the breed referral from the Club of America, what do you guys think?

11 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

People who breed multiple different breeds are often puppy mills or backyard breeders; however, that is not always the case. There are many good breeders out there who have 2 or even 3 different breeds. If she is on the National club's referral list, chances are she is as good as anyone else on that list. Do your homework and ask lots of questions (how her dogs have done in the show ring, what health testing she does, etc.)

• 8 years ago

write to the breed club and ask about them. also If you can get some names of other breeders from the same site, call them and ask what they think of the breeder. all is fair in love and war and dog purchasing. Research ! some reputable breeders do do 2 breeds, but mostly one breed is enough for most breeders if they are in it for the dogs. (not the $$) are they a member in good standing with the AKC?? that counts. what about being a member of the national clubs of the other breeds they do? You need to find out as much about this breeder as you can. and make sure to VISIT where she keep the dogs, and where the pups are raised. Never buy without seeing the place the dogs live and are raised... it is the most important. You can tell alot by looking at the dogs lifestyle and where they live. Remember this is an aminal that will be part of your life for 10-15 years, and you want a good temperament as well as good structure and looks. If you can see both parents of the pup that is good too.

• Not all breeders stick with one breed at a time. While some of these breeders are bad and produce poorly bred dogs, the others produce nicely bred, healthy pups.

Just make sure you ask as many questions as you can, look the puppies and parents over well, anything you can think of that would determine her to be a good or bad choice.

• 8 years ago

Many breeders have more than one breed - the thing to avoid are breeders that have half a dozen breeds with dozens of breeding females for each. If the breeder can show proof of the proper titles, health tests, etc, and clearly properly care for all of their dogs (and especially the pups) then go for it.

If you show up and there is a large kennel building with 100 dogs in it, the smell of feces, and the breeder can't provide important document or answer your questions, run away.

Good luck!

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 8 years ago

Well, I know of at least one GOOD breeder that breeds two different breeds (one is her husband's choice, and one hers).. if you go into more than a couple... or tons of litters.. you are into backyard breeder or mill.. Go see the set up, talk to them, see if you can find any reviews online.. See if they did any health tests (different breeds have different ones that are necessary).. Do they show?.. These questions will help weed out the bad breeders..

• jtexas
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

"focuses on just one breed" is only one of many attributes of a dog breeder.

You should consider all attributes, and if focusing on two breeds is her only fault, and she's excellent in all other areas, then consider her a viable option.

• 8 years ago

Since she only breeds two type's of dog I would say it would be okay. They gotta make money too and it takes time to breed and raise pups.

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

Adopt from a rescue specific to the type of dog you want. Almost 100% of the time, a dog you get from a shelter or rescue is the same (maybe even healthier) than the one you get from a breeder.

Source(s): I'm an animal person <3
  • Anonymous
    8 years ago

if u want a mixed breed make sure that there is nothing wrong with the pup...if it was bred from two certain types it could have a disorder that she doesn't want you to know about just yet... if u want a full bred make sure it IS a FULL BRED dog...if it isn't and u put it into a dog show under full bred dog u could get into a LOT of trouble...i hope this helps

• 8 years ago

just make sure you properly look into the breeder

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.