Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 9 years ago

How does one reason with people who say torture is not torture and Muslims never commit terrorism?

This is a serious question I have for Muslims. I am at a loss for finding an answer because it seems that Muslims never criticize Islam and therefore preclude honest inquiry about Islam.

5/12/12 Al Arabiya News: "Belgium court charges six people in deadly exorcism of Muslim woman"

Hours after Latifa Hachmi, 23, died in the evening of Aug. 5, 2004, her husband, Mourad Mazouj, made an emergency call reporting that his wife was feeling ill and stuck in the bathroom. But the hypothesis of a natural death was quickly dismissed, as her body was found covered with bruises and her lungs filled with water. Her husband later admitted to investigators that his wife was subjected month-long sessions of exorcism to evict from her body the demons that “prevented her from becoming pregnant.” The practice was conducted in the couple’s apartment in Brussels by Abdelkrim Aznagui, a Moroccan self-proclaimed “Sheik” and his “disciple,” Xavier Meert, a Belgian native who converted to Islam. They were reportedly assisted by the woman’s husband and three Muslim “sisters” of the victim. During this period, the young woman had swallowed dozens of liters of “holy” water, according to Belgian media reports. She was fed two spoons of yogurt every day and always had earphones playing verses from the Quran. In order to evict the demons, the exorcists reportedly put their fingers down the woman’s throat, forced her into bathing in hot water and beat her with a stick.

The Muslim's lawyer, Peter Chomé, claimed this defense: “He may have misjudged her health condition, but it has nothing to do with torture.”

Isn’t that the same defense Muslim leaders use when Muslims commit terrorism, as Turkey’s Prime Minister Recep Erdagon declared?

-12/09 Syrian Arab News Agency: "Islam means peace, and it cannot tolerate terrorism. We reject all attempts to link Islam with terrorism.”

How will Muslims respond? Past experience predicts that they will look like this:

-“Oh, that’s just an extremist crime that has nothing to do with Islam!”

-“What about Gitmo and water boarding?” (even though no one died from it and which Navy Seals must be experience)

-“Islam is a religion of peace and love. There is no connection between Islam and torture.”

None will address Islamic holy books which say this about women:

-Tabari I:280: "Allah said, 'It is My obligation to make Eve bleed once every month as she made this tree bleed. I must also make Eve stupid, although I created her intelligent.' Because Allah afflicted Eve, all of the women of this world menstruate and are stupid."

-Hadis 789: An ***, a pig, a Jew, a Magian and a woman annuls a prayer.

-Tabari IX:113: "Allah permits you to shut them (women) in separate rooms and to beat them, but not severely. If they abstain, they have the right to food and clothing. Treat women well for they are like domestic animals and they possess nothing themselves. Allah has made the enjoyment of their bodies lawful in his Quran."

And none will acknowledge how women are treated under Islam:

-The UN’s GEM (Gender Empowerment Measure) ranks nations by women’s equality. Muslim nations rank at the bottom.

-1/31/07 UK Policy Exchange poll of what young Muslims want: women to be veiled, 75%

-2/08 United Nations Report (un.org/en/women/endviolence): Mainly in Muslims nations, over 130 million girls and women alive today have undergone FGM (Female Genital Mutilation); each year 2 million girls are subjected to FMG.

-United Nations Report, 2002: "The report of the Special Rapporteur concerning cultural practices in the family that are violent towards women (E/CN.4/2002/83), indicated that honour killings had been reported in Egypt, Jordan, Lebanon, Morocco, Pakistan, the Syrian Arab Republic, Turkey, Yemen, and other Mediterranean and Persian Gulf countries, and that they had also taken place in western countries such as France, Germany and the United Kingdom, within migrant communities."

-12/5/10 LA Times: A new Pew Research Center poll shows that majorities in Pakistan, Egypt, Jordan and Nigeria would favor changing the current laws to allow stoning as a punishment for adultery, hand amputation for theft and death for those who convert from Islam to another religion.

-12/3/11 APF, London: Muslim honor crimes increased 47% compared to 2009. The attacks included murder, mutilation, beatings, abduction and acid attacks.

-12/2/0/09 The Independant, London: UK fails to halt female genital mutilation; “cutters” being flown in by Muslims.

-4/22/12 Daily Telegraph, London: As many as 100,000 women in Britain have undergone female genital mutilations with medics in the UK offering to carry out the illegal procedure on girls as young as 10, it has been reported.

All will accuse me of Islamophobia and report the question as a violation of YA policy...and YA will probably comply with their demand.

• Scot
    Favorite Answer

Since I cannot at all be bothered reading our essay on the topic, I'll just respond to the question itself: You cannot reason with these people. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying all Muslims are/support terrorists. That too is nonsense. It's not black and white (not race-wise, methaphor-wise), a tiny minority of Muslims give a bad name to the other 1.5 billion of them.

Thank you for bringing this information to our attention. I will pass it along to the "Progressives" I know who think that most Muslims are fine people. They never accept anything that I say, but I have found some ways of getting around telling them directly. Unfortunately, I can only use those methods very sparingly.

To answer your question. It is my understanding that religion is, for the most part, brainwashing. Therefore, for every time they have been told something and/or have told it to themselves (for Muslims, this is at least 5 times per day for every day of their lives, you must tell them the opposite or contradictory information at least the same number of times. Subliminal messages going out over the radio, TV and movies might work, but then we have to consider the Big Brother aspect to using such a system. Do we really want to go there? It is a question to be considered.

Religion has a way of making people into morons.

You can be talking to a person who seems intelligent and sensible, then you ask him about something related to his/her religion and they will tell you the most whacked out explanation.

I know a girl who is in pre-med and knows more about the human body than I can ever hope to know and knows more about physics and chemistry than most math majors, but at the same time she believes the universe was just magic'd into existence by some deity -_-

Muslims do call eachother out. Ive seen a lot of muslims say that the terrorists don't represent them and they don't agree with them at all. Theres a Muslim group in Canada that is trying to get muslims to be more liberal.

When the KKK was terrorizing blacks, no one expected all white people to sit around and talk trash about other whites, so why do you want Muslims to do it?

• meg

I would not even try. I have trouble reasoning with people who say torture is not torture even if they believe that Muslims sometimes commit terrorism

show them mirror.

just listen dr. zakir naik lecture and question and answer session "is terrorism a muslim monopoly zakir naik"

search youtube and you will be able to do that.

• Wayne

they are forbidden to put another muslim down when it comes to muslims vs another religion

2 billion Christians and 2 billion Muslims, guess who is committing the most murders? It's the Christians by a huge margin.

isn't religion great.....