Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsMarriage & Divorce · 8 years ago

I'm afraid my parents marriage is falling apart... what can I do to help prevent this?

My parents have been married for just over 22 years now and I'm not really sure why they got married in the first place. They have little to nothing in common. I think the main thing holding their marriage together up to this point is having me (18) and my sister (20) in the house. I am moving out soon and my sister moved out over a year ago and I've noticed that my parents are progressively having a harder time getting along with one another. It seems like my mom often times ignores my dad completely and they get in arguments a lot. My dad has even mentioned that he has been looking for jobs on the other side of the country where his family is from because at least out there he will have someone wanting him to come home every night. I love them both a TON and I want them to have a happy marriage, what should I do to help them out?

Favorite Answer

You can't help them. It is there problem not yours. By the sound of it they just aren't in love anymore. It happens. As the child you just have to stay out of it and accept it. I mean they deserve happiness Even if it isn't each other

• Ellie

You're an adult now. Try to see things from a different perspective.

Your parents are ADULTS. INDIVIDUALS. They have their own lives/dreams. They have given up 22 years of their life for the sake of their kids, who are now off to make their own lives and families.

Do you really expect these two individuals to stay together? You probably wont even see them 90% of the time when you move out.

My parents divorced when I was 20 (last year) - the best thing I could do for them was to love them both and say its for the best, and tell them to GO DO IT and MOVE ON with their lives.

I want my parents to be happy and do what they want. Staying together is useless. They are my parents and best friends, not my personal slaves who stay together just for my own selfish reasons.

it is so good to see that you are trying to save this marriage. no doubt you love your parents and they love you but there is something somewhere which is falling short and is being ignored by every member of the family. some times when things are untold, not discussed, kept secret and not shared. these kinds of situation occurs. the best thing to tackle this is to have a family meeting and talk things out. tell your parents what you think where all this is going and you are not happy with it. ask them and make them ask to each other what is that one note they never shared and has now piled up to this situation. i hope this would help you to save them together. best of luck to you. you are wise enough to recognize the problem now its time to be brave. may god bless you. just be yourself

here are numerous reasons why a once committed relationship would degenerate to one partner asking for a divorce. how to save your marriage https://tr.im/2wMLE

It could have been:

- an affair

- having been separated by a long distance for lengths of time

- conflict

- behavioral issues or psychological problems of one spouse

- even unmanaged addictions.

Whatever of these problems may be what is seen on the surface, the bottom line is that usually, barring any abuse or psychological problems that are best handled by a professional, a couple find themselves in danger of divorce when there is a loss of:

- communication,

- love

- and intimacy

in the marital relationship.

You can't do anything. You can't fix a marriage that is not yours. What you see as "drifting" apart is likely your parents adjusting to the upcoming empty nest. How couples deal with the children moving on isn't the child's problem, it is theirs alone.

As long as they have little to nothing in common, it's better for you to let them do whatever they want rather than watching them argue daily.

Once they get separated, keep in touch with them and start your own life.

1

Source(s): Mantain your Relationship Alive http://SaveYourMarriage.latis.info/?55QD

You can't, of they don't love eachother anymore you want make them

Just be a good kid