Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 8 years ago

How does the book, The Hunger Games By: Suzanne Collins, relate to World History or Ancient Rome?

In any way, how does the book, The Hunger Games, tie in with world history or ancient rome? Any answer is great!

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Well, aside from the answer above about "panem et circenses" (Bread and Circuses) which is how the Romans would control the population there are a couple more to add.

The Hunger Games itself can be compared to the battle of Gladiators in Ancient Rome inside their amphitheaters or coliseums. Where warriors or chosen prisoners fight to death, usually by the order of the King or whoever is in power, as mirrored by the game makers and of course by Snow.

Meanwhile the pursuit of freedom by the people of Panem against the tyrants of the rulers can be associated to the birth of democracy - Athen by the way is the birthplace of democracy concerning world history.

Meanwhile, Snow's prerogative of using the Hunger Games as a reminder of how peace was restored in their land and how it keeps the country for another war or revolution, depicts one of the most appealing idealism during the Renaissance Era by famed philosopher Niccolo Machiavelli, according to him, "the end justifies the means". Words that are until present upon debate on its justification on modern times.

Furthermore, Katniss and Peeta's act of attempted suicide as star-crossed lovers depicts major events famous in literature across history. Comparable to Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet and Hamlet, where lovers resort to death in order to escape the inevitable.

That's all I can give for now. If in case you still need more, don't hesitate to send me an email or just comment on my answer. I hope that I was of help! :D

• Login to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    8 years ago

Well, the Hunger Games were, like everyone said, very similar to the Gladiatorial matches in the Colosseum. The different Roman provinces and conquered territories were a lot like the Hunger Games districts; they would often rebel, and once rebellion occurred, the Roman leader at the time would send an army to crush them.

When Peeta and Katniss were going to commit suicide, it's very close to the situation that occurred between Mark Antony and Cleopatra, except the two of them actually did die.

• 8 years ago

Well I mean theres the fact that they live in Panem which most likely derives from "panem et circenses" which means Bread and Circuses which is how the Romans would control the population as long as you give people food and entertainment you can control them which is exactly how our world and the world in the book operates. Give them food, which is what they win from the competition, and entertainment which is the game itself. No one questions the leaders at the Capitol much like our government.

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

In ancient rome, they would force people to fight in the Colosseum, the loser dies, while the winner is celebrated

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    8 years ago

Do your own homework.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.