promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Scott
Lv 6
Scott asked in SportsOutdoor RecreationHunting · 8 years ago

Strategy for gun buy backs?

A while back there was a post about a gun buy back offering $100 gift cards that included comments about how people would like to buy a few for themselves. I know they were joking but could it really be done? Was wondering if any gun store or pawn shop ever ran their own ads with something like "Bring your guns to us first, we may offer you a lot more than that $100, and we pay cash". May have to look at a lot of so-so guns, but you never know when that old WWII sniper rifle may come in. If local news pick up on it there could be a lot of free advertising as well, not to mention the fact that the liberals would just howl.

Update:

Yes I understand about stolen guns, or ones used in a crime, but some people have guns that were just left to them by deceased relatives, and they know nothing about them. To them it's just an easy way to get a little $$ for something they don't need.

Update 2:

Maxim machine guns still show up from time to time out of peoples attics. There is no telling what is still left out there. With the WWII generation dying off at such a fast rate there are still plenty of undiscovered treasures to be found.

Update 3:

Maxim machine guns still show up from time to time out of peoples attics. There is no telling what is still left out there. With the WWII generation dying off at such a fast rate there are still plenty of undiscovered treasures to be found.

12 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

In Chicago that would buy any gun, whether it was functional or not, and give a 100 bucks. Most guys I know have at least one broken single shot shotgun that is too costly to fix or in too bad of shape to try that. They would get some from others, take 4 or 5 to Chicago, get 4-5 hundred bucks and go to the store and get a new one they could use.

Chicago got wise and only give gift cards now and I don't think it is for a hundred anymore.

Most of the time, they don't get near the amount of guns they claim they do and hardly any work and many are stolen.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 8 years ago

Excellent idea, and I'd like to see it catch on everywhere. I get the shivers just thinking about all the fine old guns that are probably turned in by un-knowing people that could have gotten big bucks from a legitimate gun dealer.

I've always hoped that the finer guns are sneaked out the back door by crooked cops, just to they don't go to the melting pot. Considering the honesty level we've seen in many police departments, that's a good possibility.

The only good thing about the buy-backs is that you can get rid of some real pieces of cr** that way, stuff that is broken or too unsafe to even give to the annoying neighborhood kids.

It's a really sad statement on the intellectual level of our police forces when they actually think these buy-backs are a good idea.

• chris
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

Most gun shops will buy used guns all the time or offer to sell them on consignment so nothing new there. The guns bought by the police usually have a "history" of being used in a crime or being stolen this is a really poor police idea to get guns off the street as the criminal gets rid of a gun no questions asked. Guns that could have solved hundreds of crimes are then melted down and all opportunity is lost. The criminal then takes his $100 and then goes down to the gun shop and buys a clean gun and he is back in business.

• 8 years ago

The issue with a gun buyback is that that would be a buisness instead of freedom haters in power using taxpayer money. Also these gun buybacks are "no questions asked" meaning they will not run checks on these guns so there primary target is criminals. You really think a criminal would give a crime gun to a gun dealer who has to run a check on the guns serial and the person turning it in is most likley a felon?

If a person wants to sell a legally owned gun they go to a dealer or put an add up. If you want to get rid of a hot gun while making some money what would be the better option?

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 8 years ago

Oh HELL no. In fact, at our pawnshop, whenever someone announces a gun buy-back, if we have enough time, we gather up all the crap guns we won't ever sell (Jimenez Arms, Bryco, Jennings, Hi-Point, etc.) and take 'em down and get money for 'em.

Hey, they make the rules, not us. Those guns are just sitting in our shop, taking up space on the shelves and in the books. Buy-backs are like christmas bonuses to us.

The people in this area are smart. Rarely if ever will you see something decent come through a buy-back. And honestly, it's not worth trying to clean up and resell the junk. So as one of the guys who evaluates firearms at a pawnshop, I'll tell you - ain't gonna happen.

MY strategy is simply to let the boss know so we can get the stuff together for the buy back.

• Quinn
    Lv 6
    8 years ago

Maxim machine guns hasn't been used since WW1.

Gun buy backs is another example of government waste. The last time that was done (I believe it was California), people simply went to guns stores or shows and bought junk guns, turn them in and got MORE money from the government than what they paid for and then went on to buy a decent gun.

• Karle
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

you can try it......but honestly too many issues that would make it NOT worth the effort.....

because the SECOND u buy a stolen gun u now have committed a felony.........and will lose everything u could possibly make and most of what u own fighting the legal crap that will come along with it.....

btw reason cities STOPPED doing this.....is they were NOT no-questions asked......they were video recording everything and using facial recognition software to keep track of who brought what in........and criminals found this out after enough of them went to prison.......

** and YES i do know a guy who took 14 crates of mosin nagants to one of these buy-back programs in NJ..........he paid $39 per rifle @ the time,.......and got $100 cash for each one........sad thing is he lost all the profit by stopping in atlantic city on the way home.......but it did pay for his weekend vacation.....

• WC
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

Gun buybacks are nothing more than gun control tactics. The majority of stuff the city govts. shell out good money for is scrap. I ask you, who in their right mind would trade in a quality gun, or one that works for that matter for $25.

• 8 years ago

The program is a complete and utter failure, both becasue it has no effects, and they destroy the guns that are turned in. I SUPPOSE that I can see the point of turning in a rusty old hunk of junk that will never shoot, but anything else is just effing crazy.

Source(s): Me
  • Jeff
    Lv 5
    8 years ago

I still like the story about the guy that was buying SKS's for $69 from a gunshop three blocks away from the buyback location where they were paying $200 for those "assault rifles" no questions asked.

After the fifth or sixth one they broke their rule and asked him questions.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.