Why does mainstream music suck?

Back before I was born people used to listen to stuff like AC/DC, Beatles, Boston, Led Zeppelin, (at least to my understanding) which is cool because they were good bands and made good music. Then Metal and punk started developing and we got awesome, genious bands today that can give me goosebumps and put a lump in... show more Back before I was born people used to listen to stuff like AC/DC, Beatles, Boston, Led Zeppelin, (at least to my understanding) which is cool because they were good bands and made good music. Then Metal and punk started developing and we got awesome, genious bands today that can give me goosebumps and put a lump in my throat, or just charge me full of energy and make me feel like jumping around, or both at the same time like Rise Against, Coheed and Cambria (which are my favourite bands right now) or other various metal and hardcore bands like Saosin, All That Remains, etc. Yet majority of people listen to stuff like rap, (monotonous blubbering) dubstep (lots of annoying noises with a constant beat behind them) and pop (annoying bubbley version of a basic rock song). Plus almost always these mainstream songs have some pointless lyrics I would never want to hear about anyways such as their personal sex life or them destroying their brains with drugs, when the "underground" artists I listen to usually have profound meanings behind their lyrics. I have a single theory for the original question stated at the top. Have you ever listened to a song but you didn't care for it much but after listening to a couple times you start to love it? Maybe the same rhing happens to the majority of people who listen to music nowadays but worse and they don't have the patience or skill to fully appreciate the song which is why they turn to rap and dubstep and stuff like that because it's so simple and easy to get into. And for people who say these kinds of music aren't simple; me, my friend, and my brother wrote, recorded and edited a full- length rap song making fun of rap in under an hour and I'm confident I could do near the same for dubstep. Anyway I'm sorry my theory is so biased like "my music is better than yours so you must be listening to it wrong" (actually thinking back my whole question was like that) but I seriously can't think of any other answer. Also I'm sorry this question was so long and I'm really grateful to anyone who read the whole thing and answers me even if you just give me a hate rant. Thanks.
7 answers 7