Anonymous

Is Environmental Engineering a cop-out?

I am going to a top engineering school in the fall, and I really want to make a difference in the world. I want my name to be remembered, I want to truly leave the world a better place than I found it. Will Environmental Engineering help me do this? Or would something like Electrical or Civil or Mechanical? I don't want to do chemical or biomedical and I am opposed to nuclear for personal reasons. I would do aerospace also. Would Physics be a good major? I love reading the works of Hawking and I am very interested in Physics, granted my knowledge in it is very limited. But if I am interested, than it will be easy because I want to learn it. What do you, the Yahoo Community, think I should do?

• Derek
    Favorite Answer

Remember that any of those types of engineering can be a major value to shaping the world to make it a better place. For example, a mechanical engineer might invent some new engine design that got better MPG and polluted less. An electrical engineer might make things more efficient so they required less electricity. a civil engineer might design a less costly and safer bridge. When you start your studies, you can just pick what interests you most, but be open to other types of engineering as well, so you might change course later. All types of engineering can have an environmental impact.

Source(s): former college adviser