Am I heartless for getting rid of the dog?

We've had him for a little more than a year. He is a 14 inch beagle/Queensland heeler mix and was a rescue dog that has SEVERE separation anxiety. Just yesterday, we blocked him off in the kitchen with 2 gates stacked on top of each other, yet he still managed to jump up onto the counter, over the bar area and... show more We've had him for a little more than a year. He is a 14 inch beagle/Queensland heeler mix and was a rescue dog that has SEVERE separation anxiety. Just yesterday, we blocked him off in the kitchen with 2 gates stacked on top of each other, yet he still managed to jump up onto the counter, over the bar area and back into the living room while knocking over soda on my white carpet. He will NOT stay put where he is gated off, even to the point of injuring himself. He even left piles of drool, steaming piles of **** and piss for me to clean up. Nice. I am 39 weeks pregnant with a 3 year old and can't handle this stress EVERY time I come home from leaving him alone.

He doesn't do good in a kennel, either. He drools incessantly, soaking his fur thoroughly. It's disgusting. We've tried several different training methods since adopting him and nothing works. At this point it is not worth it to me to keep him anymore. I told my 3 year old that we are getting rid of him and he is okay with it as long as we promise him a new pet, like a lizard. (way less maintenance).

My husband however was upset that I've decided to get rid of him. He actually cried for a few minutes. We've talked about getting rid of him before, but came up with the solution of my husband doing all the dirty work with the dog (baths, treatments, clipping nails, scrubbing the carpet when he shits, picking up the poop outside on a daily basis) but he never followed through. I can't even let my toddler outside to play because there are piles of **** and its unsanitary. Once again, I'm the one who has to do EVERYTHING. It has made me resent the dog and it is clear that my husband does not want to do the responsibilities, just reap the benefits of companionship. My husband says he understands why I want to get rid of him and that he should have been keeping up with what he said he would do.

We've made arrangements to give him back to the adoption lady already and I can't help but feel SO RELIEVED about how much easier life will be especially with a newborn coming next week. Am I wrong? I feel mean, but then again I'm doing EVERYTHING for this dog so it should be my decision ultimately, right?
Update: Some of you are idiots and I don't think you understand. The dog is potty trained until we LEAVE THE HOUSE...its not that we CAN'T confine him, its that he doesn't do well in confinement and will injure himself to get out of where he is left when I LEAVE THE HOUSE. And I'm tired of cleaning up his... show more Some of you are idiots and I don't think you understand. The dog is potty trained until we LEAVE THE HOUSE...its not that we CAN'T confine him, its that he doesn't do well in confinement and will injure himself to get out of where he is left when I LEAVE THE HOUSE. And I'm tired of cleaning up his drool and ****, its so frustrating that he can't just LEARN to not be scared when I leave.

Renate, you're an insensitive asshole. Giving birth to a child is tremendously different than adopting a pet on a whim. Of course I will not give my baby away. It's my child...one main reason I am getting rid of the dog. and no **** the whole family needs to participate, but they WONT. can't you read?? the responsibilities are falling on ME AND ONLY ME. and I'm tired of it.

K9 LOVER, did you not read how I said me and my husband had talked about the responsibilities before? moron..it obviously didn't work because he didn't want to help. that was his chance,
Update 2: ErgoF, somehow I am the one who is irresponsible and heartless when it's my husband who wanted this dog and now won't take care of it? He agreed to the duties involved and now that they're falling on me, I'm the *****? I don't think so. You just think I'm irresponsible since I posted the... show more ErgoF, somehow I am the one who is irresponsible and heartless when it's my husband who wanted this dog and now won't take care of it? He agreed to the duties involved and now that they're falling on me, I'm the *****? I don't think so. You just think I'm irresponsible since I posted the question and not my husband.

Lizzie, I have loads of HUMAN friends you stank *****. Thanks for your concern tho :) I think everyone is an idiot because they obviously can't comprehend what I wrote before judging my decision and suggesting things I clearly already stated that I've tried.