Jewish people, is it possible the Ethiopian Orthodox Church has the "Ark of the Covenant".......?

Now i stress in my question the word "possible". Although im a devout Christian, i have to confess that I am very skeptical of outlandish claims, even by people in my own religious tradition, and i tend to look at things with deep rationalism. Having said that the claim that the Ark is in Ethiopia is interesting.

According to Ethiopian legend, King Menelik, who is the alleged son of Solomon by Queen Sheba, had taken the ark back to him in Ethiopia. Now i doubt this, because their is no evidence in Jewish records of the ark being taken out of the temple during the reign of Solomon. Having said that, I do believe it is possible the Ethiopian tradition, embellished in legend as it may be, might be based on a historical reality.

It is well known that Jewish communities were established in Egypt and Ethiopia during the Ancient world. The Tanakh itself alludes to that in places such as Jeremiah, Isaiah, etc. It certainly is possible that after the destruction of the Temple in 586 BC, the Jewish priests would have smuggled the ark down the Nile to these communities and it ended up in Ethiopia.

What seems to strengthen this possibility is apparently their was a Jewish temple found in Elephantine that dates back to the Persian Empire, which possibly(and i stress "possibly") might have held the Ark, before passing in theory to Ethiopia.

Also, seeing as though their are so many replicas of it in Ethiopian Orthodox Churches world wide, based on the one allegedly in Addis Ababa, means that even if it might be a legend, it has to at least be based on something.

At the end of the day im not gonna hold my breathe though............

Link:

http://cojs.org/cojswiki/The_Elephantine_Temple%2C...

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

It's possible

though no one really knows for certain where it is

Ethiopian culture does place a very string emphasis on the Ark of the Covenant, and they do claim to have it, but will show no one out of fear of the damage that can be done.

That being said I have no idea if it is the very same Ark that disappeared about 2500 years ago

Source(s): ..
  • Dylan
    Lv 4
    8 years ago

If they have the Ark, we'd know by now and be in possession of it. I think they made a replica for personal religious symbolism, but if it really was a option, the Jews would be all over it for sure.

Also..you need to remember what happened to the nations that got hold of the Ark that were not its true owners. Kings literally pushed it out of the land because it brought such judgment, as G-d said would happen if it gets put in the wrong hands.

Many odd things would happen also. If they really did have the Ark, they would be able to see every time G-d has a divine degree for or against the Jews throughout the world, since each is held as 1 body of a people. It's recorded that the angels ontop facing eachother was determined by the way the Jews were behaving. Meaning, when the Jews were keeping the Torah and serving G-d correctly, the angels would face eachother and sing, and the Jews were doing things they shouldn't, they were faced away from eachother, in opposition. If this Ethiopian church has the Ark, they'd witness this, and it wouldn't remain a secret. Thats a little too bit profound to hide.

• 8 years ago

Religious answer -- Not possible

Short cutting the details (and borrowing imagery from Spielberg) - it'd melt their eyes out!

Basicaly - if you believe the details about the ark, only certain very specific people would be able to move and manipulate it ...that and the religious tradition is that it is in a hidden room inside the Temple mound.

Non religious answer -- Not likely.

There was a custom at the time to create replica arks to put in different synagogues throughout the Jewish collonies/ refugee communities.

My understanding is that the serious archeologists' opinion of the matter is that this thing is a very important artifact because it is a copy of the ark which was made at the time the original was still standing.

But not the original.

One telling issue that may sway opinion --

The Ethiopian Jews don't particulary express interest in it.

The legend of Menelik stealing the ark is a Christian one that does not seem to be shared by the Jews.

• Melkha
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

Possible although NOT probable.

The ark was in Israel during the days of Jeremiah. He told the priests to stop marking the way to the ark.

No one would be able to get close to the ark without the proper priestly garments as the garments acted as a insulator. The ark was displayed at the enemies of Israel and entire regions were laid waste. The people of Israel never saw the ark, only the priests. They had to be physically and spiritually pure before presenting the ark on the battlefield.

The ark was not in the second Temple built by Ezra

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 8 years ago

Well The Legend is in the BIBLE

1, Kings 10 ,, 1--13

And when the Queen of Sheba heard of the fame of Solomon concerning the name of the LORD, she came to prove him with hard questions. And she came to Jerusalem with a very great train, with camels that bore spices, and very much gold, and precious stones: and when she was come to Solomon, she communed with him of all that was in her heart. And King Solomon gave unto the Queen of Sheba all her desire, whatsoever she asked, beside that which Solomon gave her of his royal bounty. So she turned and went to her own country, she and her servants.(I Kings 10 v.1-13)

THE JEWS ARE NOT THE ONLY PEOLE IN THE BIBLE THAT GOD CAME AND GAVE

HIS LOVE TO

THERE IS NO JEW OR GREEK AMONG YOU ..WE ARE ONE .. Gal. 3.28 ( BIBLE

THERE YOU GO .. OT AND NT.

IC XC NIKA

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.