Why are people complaining about the gay "marriage" ban??? wtf?

People should just stop! It is fair that NC banned it along with other states because same sex "marriage" is NOT MARRIAGE at all. The definition of Marriage is: "The state of being united to a person OF THE OPPOSITE SEX as husband or wife." Not the state of being united to a person OF THE SAME SEX. Same sex "marriage" should NEVER be counted as marriage. What do you think? and no i am not religious just facts i am pointing out.

Update:

i am not discriminating them i am just saying the "marriage" between 2 gays is NOT REAL MARRIAGE. All the definitions of marriage in every dictionary say marriage is between the opposite sex!

Update 2:

I agree with what mike says it should be CALLED A "CIVIL UNION" not "MARRIAGE"

Update 3:

wow i can see why the world is getting corrupted/messed up. Humanity is beginning to think all these bad things like how gay "marriage" can be recognized as marriage. It is not MARRIAGE the definition from laws even say it is the unity between the OPPOSITE sex

13 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Why are people complaining about the marriage ban? I have a problem with banning equal rights for gays, clearly you do not.

Marriage was defined between a woman and a man by religion, Christianity. So, that would violate "church and state should remain seperate". Marriage is between two consenting adults. And why shouldn't two people who are of age and love each other have the right to marry? Stop treating us like second class citizens.

You are wonderful at pointing out facts, dearest, but you happen to leave the important ones out. Like how homosexuality is not a choice, and how we are treated differently and not given civil rights. How we have been persecuted for who we cannot help but be.

One more thing, exactly WHY should it be between woman and man? Where is your evidence, your proof, your logic? You have none.

"It is not MARRIAGE the definition from laws even say it is the unity between the OPPOSITE sex" Honey, clearly you cannot read because we are answering your "question". It should NOT be a civil union because of all the rights that come with marriage (joint adoption, joint custody, visitation in hospital, joint insurance. SO many)

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Suzy Q
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

How silly. You actually think a dictionary dictates what the definition of a word is? Wrong.

A dictionary records what definition of a word currently happens to be in use. And many dictionaries have by now caught up with reality and scratched the part about people in a marriage needing to be members of the opposite sex.

So in your warped idea of what a dictionary is, that must mean you will suddenly support marriage equality?

I live in the Netherlands. We used to have that same bit in the law that you mention: marriage being between people of the opposite sex. You know what we did over ten years ago? We changed that law to reflect the democratic majority's opinion about marriage equality. That's what happens in democracies. Get with the program.

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

The Constitution states that all citizens are entitled to equal justice under the law.

The Supreme Court ruled, in the mixed-race-marriage case of Loving v. Virginia, that the right to marry the partner of one's choice is a basic civil right.

Under these two basic rules, NC's amendment is unconstitutional.

Of course, NC used to outlaw mixed-race marriages, too.

"Red" states tend to be a little .... slow .... to recognize human rights.

Marriage is a social construct, and if you're basing your rant on the bible, the most common form of Biblical marriage was polygamy.

Marriage is what a society defines it as. It existed BC and will continue to evolve as humanity does.

Source(s): The US Constitution "The Government of the United States is NOT, in ANY sense, founded on the Christian Religion." -- John Adams
  • Tyler
    Lv 4
    8 years ago

Wow, you actually tried to argue the definition of marriage....without something to even base your opinion on? Stating it as a fact and formatting it as a rant....just wow

Edit: This is not an argument that you can use a dictionary as proof for. Dictionaries are updated and definitions changed. Try again.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 8 years ago

Your opinion shouldn't constitute how others live their lives.

People are complaining because America is moving into a more liberal realm where it's okay to love the person you've been with for over twenty years, whether your gay, straight, bisexual or whatever, and South Carolina just took five major steps backwards.

This question, and the ban South Carolinans passed, is just a horrible example of the bigotry in our nation.

• 8 years ago

that might be your definition of marriage, but it's not everyone's definition of marriage. The definition of marriage used to require them to be of the same race. Before that, you were allowed to marry more than one person, or force your children into a marriage. Before that, if you raped a woman you would be forced to marry her. The definition is constantly changing. I personally believe the government has no right to dictate marriages or unions or whatever you want to call them. It's none of their business.

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

Same sex marriage existed before Christianity. Just saying.

• Amber
    Lv 5
    8 years ago

I know haters gonna hate, but please just back the hell off. Marriage is the sacred unity of two people that love each other, gay or not. If gay people were just allowed to get married and be miserable like the rest of the world, we would quit complaining.

Now, please take your racist, discriminate *** far away where you can't do any harm.

• 8 years ago

Well the definition, just like the times, they are a changing.

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

Plus it's a democratically elected vote to ban it, I hate it when special interests(lobbyists, in many cases) try to make sweep a bill under the populace's noses.

I mean, I'm bi and all---but I don't get what all the fuss is about. Why not just have civil unions? Thats what I am planning to do, doesn't seem like they're a real difference in the long term.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.